Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Starter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Starter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Ok so I have been having a bit of trouble, with starting the GN. It just clicks once and after a few turns of the key it finally turns over. So I bought a new starter, That blasted thing is the heaviest starter I have lifted must weight 35 pounds, fairly cheap surprised me. So when I get some energy I shall change it out. Easy job I should think. Two bolts and an electrical connection, estimated a hour or less, so it will probably take all day at least D'oh

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So got the starter out, surprised to see the top of the solenoid actually was broken exposing the electrical contacts. Looks like it has been broken for along time, my guess it was cracked when it was installed.

New unit is in but I think I might need to shim it a bit more. Amp draw is pretty high. I will try to post a pic tomorrow.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
A while back I replaced the starter on my Regal with a modern mini starter. WAY lighter, and you can clock the solenoid so it hangs down, eay to get to and less heat for the solenoid.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...033959187#1033959187

It cranks like crazy. I would recommend it highly.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Do yoursef a favor. Replace your wiring to the starter. Even after replacing my starter last year I had issues with clicking. Replaced all the wiring down there that is exposed to more heat than it should from the exhaust. I actually took all my old battery lines and the pigtails on the starter and sol. to my local starter/alt shop and had them fab new ones. For the 2 gauge wires they used nice and flexable welder wire and nice professional crimp ends rather than crimped by a pair of pliers. Cost less than me buying the wire. Nothing sucks more than screwing with a non starting motorhome sitting out and about. Hope to replace the wiring to the generator this summer as it also gets clicky or does nothing at all at times.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ok so all this fantastic advice came a half day to late. D.S. and H. I have installed a standard replacement unit. I can tell you it sure works better than what I had, less power draw and starts like a dream, I guess I will see how it works in the long run. I took a pic of the mess that was in there and as soon as PB decides it likes me again I will post it here...

Pretty sure this is the original starter, bet it has been this way for a long time. Not only broken but burned all around the starter motor connection.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I see you an "BP" have solved your love / hate relationship.
Almost forgot what is?
quote:
D.S. and H.
Looks like another brain fart? I am not sure if the brain fart is mine or yours.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Yes Kevin, but I am switching to Shell Products on advice from Rusty!

The d word. The s word, and a place you do not want to go!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO You mean the thing you check the oil with. DIPSTICK? ROTFLMAO

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post