Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Barth or BB :)
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth or BB :)
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/21
Picture of HeartBarths
posted
Hello,

I have the very lovely '85 Barth for sale (that prob needs an engine).

1. Should I sell the Bluebird (diesel, starts every time but HUGE) to fix Barth or wait for a buyer on the Barth?

(Took FB ad down).

2. Longterm, which will cost less to run/repair? BB is in great running condition.

Thank you!

Posts: 49 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 08-06-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Sit in the driver's seat grip the wheel imagine being 10 years old, go vroom, vroom! Which do you like most? Imagine being your age and walking around thinking about sleeping, eating, reading, which do you prefer? Consider traveling, parking, choring and which would be preferred?
$10,000 should resolve Barth problems? what is the sales price of the BB? Probably easier to sell a Bird not sure how maintenance compares except oil changes are multiples, which engine is pushing the Bird?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
These are tough questions....

1. The Bluebird has better brand recognition. In running condition probably worth more than the Barth. (especially if the Barth is not in running condition...)
The BIG question is, which one suits your future needs? As they say, when you're driving them they are never too small, when you are parked living in them, they are never too big. Do you want something easier to drive or big enough to spend time in?

If you don't want the BB and you do want the Barth, I would assume the sale of the BB would easily get the Barth in order. OTOH, if the BB is ready to go, it would be easier to unload the Barth and be done....

2. The BB, with diesel engine, heavy duty chassis, air brakes and suspension, will probably run much longer than the gas engine Barth. Most commercial diesels will go 300,000 miles or more without major expense. The Barth, on the lighter GM chassis, even after a new engine, will need more routine maintenance and last closer to 100,000 miles.

The BB, already running, will probably not need major outlay to keep that way. The Barth needs an engine and will require more expense to keep running.

3. Your Barth looks in good condition. The right buyer, with mechanical skills and parts, can surely get it into running condition. Not trivial, but not rocket science. (I replaced the engine, transmission, brakes and much more in my 86 and it was a great coach. The only reason I sold it goes back to question 1, I wanted a larger coach.)

I am sure there is a buyer out there who could restore and enjoy your coach if you don't. Used RVs are not hot market items but they do sell.

I wish I could give you a definite answer but it depends on what you plan for your future use. Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Sit in the driver's seat grip the wheel imagine being 10 years old, go vroom, vroom! Which do you like most? Imagine being your age and walking around thinking about sleeping, eating, reading, which do you prefer? Consider traveling, parking, choring and which would be preferred?
$10,000 should resolve Barth problems? what is the sales price of the BB? Probably easier to sell a Bird not sure how maintenance compares except oil changes are multiples, which engine is pushing the Bird?

LOL I love it!! Hahaha. Except the 10k repair cost, really? Ouch! They both have great features. BB big roomy and always starts! Bright, open, and easy to load (in back). Barth, classic, cozy, complete but this engine issue has me worried. Plus, it was really hot on trip two summers ago. How crazy to keep both!? Oh Lord!

Got BB for $3k and told it would go to CA and back no problem without turning off. Confidence building! Plus, couod go to auction and buy everything!! Haha.

Oh boy, thanks for the vroom, vroom! A bus driver is going to give me 4 hrs training to help me ddcide. BB SO big though, thought gas would be less but not sure.

Posts: 49 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Member Since: 08-06-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted from Steve.

Steve,

Edited - reread your msg, so much helpful info in there, thanks again!!

Pretty much everything you said I agree with, except buyer part! Feel a little like a yo-yo, but that's the decision making process, I guess!! Both have great features! Husband was mechanic and said safer with me in bus bc of mechanics, longevity. Love the traveling vs staying analogy, so true!!!

If anyone is headed toward Ohio, would love to pay someone to take a look! I'm afraid once it's towed what the bill will be, oh boy. I better keep it posted. I love both, Barth I just feel needs a mechanical person (not me)! But its a great size and bus is so big. The Barth, would be perfect for state parks!!

I appreciate the feedback. The Barth is really great. I would love to sell it to someone who would love it. Thank you both.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Might able to check out your coach in the next week or so. what side of Col. are you on? Not an expert but got good knowledge of Barth's and p-30s and BB chevys. I can give you my opinion of what you should do. If you want PM me could set something up.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
Might able to check out your coach in the next week or so. what side of Col. are you on? Not an expert but got good knowledge of Barth's and p-30s and BB chevys. I can give you my opinion of what you should do. If you want PM me could set something up.

Yes!! Thank you! Actually, Between Delaware and Marysville. Ok, if you don't get a PM its bc I can't figure out how to start one! I'll try again in the morning!

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ccctimtation:

I forgot to answer, but the sales price of the BB is not determined bc I can't bring myself to sell it! Especially until I know cost of repair on Barth. I'll only sacrafice it if I absolutely have to. I jokingly call them big B and little B! LOL Bird is a 1979 detroit Deisel. Prior owner put a big smoke stack on it to pull cars.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
If you bought a Bird that is in decent , usable condition for $3k that is awesome and very rare . I guess it will depend on your budget . The Bird is a great machine , but the maintenance and repair cost will be much more than the Barth . Finding mechanics willing to work on the old Detroits is getting harder too .
Don't get me wrong , I love the Birds . We had one for five years and decided to downsize to a lighter weight more nimble coach that is both easier to work on and find parts for. The Barth has similar quality and a floorplan we wanted .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
If you bought a Bird that is in decent , usable condition for $3k that is awesome and very rare . I guess it will depend on your budget . The Bird is a great machine , but the maintenance and repair cost will be much more than the Barth . Finding mechanics willing to work on the old Detroits is getting harder too .
Don't get me wrong , I love the Birds . We had one for five years and decided to downsize to a lighter weight more nimble coach that is both easier to work on and find parts for. The Barth has similar quality and a floorplan we wanted .

Thank you Harold! I know a mechanic for deisel but at $85 an hour I hope I never have to use him!! Haha!! If kept both, hopefully one always works! Haha! I have space for them. Barth makes me nervous bc I could never even start it!! No carb or has carb?! So I only drove one time.

A tow driver is supposed to come get Barth when ground dries bc we foolishly put in yard before it seemed to lock up, so have to wait until that happens. But nervous about bill for everything and after reading many posts here, just want to be sure investment would be worth it, mesning, I could hopefully count on years of enjoyment. Repair shop said I would get warranty good anywhere for 3 yrs, but you never know prices until you see final bill!! My brother already told me to cancel tow one time and I regret it. He put a ton into his truck but trying to tell me not to that not worth it. I keep telling him he doesn't understand!! To me, if a new engine is 6k, its almost worth putting new one in every few years bc value us still way better than anything out there!!! You all know that, of course!

Getting closer to tow truch coming and hoping to have all facts first. Did I mention it has an electric awning?! LOL

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
Is your Bluebird a schoolbus or a Wanderlodge?

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
The Bird is a great machine , but the maintenance and repair cost will be much more than the Barth. Finding mechanics willing to work on the old Detroits is getting harder too.

I would question the cost argument, given that the Bird is already running and the Barth needs many $$ to get to that state. The Barth will need brakes and suspension work more often. (Wheel bearings should be repacked periodically, bus chassis has wet hubs, etc) It has more belts and the fuel system, carb and fuel filters need more attention. Never heard of a diesel with vapor lock on a hot day... Diesels are designed to run for a long time. Detroit Diesels are quite reliable and parts are still available. (Dad has one in his boat. Running great, we installed it in 1974...)

As for mechanics, the hourly cost is about the same in my area. Good mechanics for any rig are hard to find, but all you need is one good one. Shop by reputation, ask around.

When I bought my 86 Regal it had about 100,000 miles. By the time I replaced the engine, trans, brakes, shocks and all the other things it needed I had another 15k in it, and that was with 0 spent on mechanics fees.

I bought the Monarch with about 100,000 miles on it also. Engine uses no oil, will likely last another 200,000 miles, same for the driveline. I had brakes replaced, suspension air bags replaced and other maintenance work done at $100/hr for well under 10k.

Hopefully Craig can get there and look over your coaches. He can give you a pretty good idea of what they will need. Good luck.

To PM someone, just click on their name in the posting. Choose from the menu, write it up like a regular posting. On the portal page there is a tab for PM as well, in the Quick Links at the top. I just sent you one. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
Is your Bluebird a schoolbus or a Wanderlodge?

Hello,

It's a 1979 Bluebird detroit deisel. Very basic conversion to RV. Lots of room for running dogs.

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HeartBarths:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
The Bird is a great machine , but the maintenance and repair cost will be much more than the Barth. Finding mechanics willing to work on the old Detroits is getting harder too.

I would question the cost argument, given that the Bird is already running and the Barth needs many $$ to get to that state. The Barth will need brakes and suspension work more often. (Wheel bearings should be repacked periodically, bus chassis has wet hubs, etc) It has more belts and the fuel system, carb and fuel filters need more attention. Thumbs Up

Hi Steve!

Thanks so much!! Craig and I are talking now! Trying to work it all out!! Plus schoolhouse, a lot!! Really wanting confidence, and all the mechanical know how I can get! So much I just don't know much about this complicated, beautiful machine!!

*** I just took down FB listing of Barth for now!! Don't want to make dreaded mistake of selling and finding out it was only needing a new battery! Ha. If only it were so easy! Thanks for all who contributed and is helping me figure this all out! Smiler

I may have a shop and just remembered prior owner said just take to truck shop. Having recommendations is always a help! The driver for Two Brother's Towing and repair has been very kind, we would just need ground to dry before towing.

I also want to take a moment here to recommend Bauerle in Delaware. The owner has always goven me helpful advice snd they always have motoehomes on their lot!

OR, MAYBE i should just buy a tow truck!! LOL

Picture of HeartBarths
posted Hide Post
Any thoughts on comparing fuel costs? Big reason for bus, thought cost would drop but they seem about the same.

Also, could I ever tow the Barth with the Bus? Plan for the worst, hope for the best! Haha. I know that seems really out there, but in worst case scenario...?

Thanks, all!