Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steve, your throttle linkage issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steve, your throttle linkage issues
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I would first disconnect the throttle linkage where it comes out at the engine area and check if there is any binding on the linkage around the injection pump, cruise control or throttle position sensor.

If all that is free, I would go to the foot pedal assembly, disconnect that and check if that is free.

If foot pedal assembly is free, then you would have a cable problem, that either needs lube as we have discussed or replace the cable and that would be a BIG job!!

Let me know if I could help further. safe driving and see you at Minnesnowta GTG.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed. That was about the sequence I planned. I just hope the cable is not frayed, etc. I don't know exactly where it runs yet but I am sure it would be a big job to replace.

My sisters are leaving today and I will get a chance to look at the coach. Throttle cable is priority 1 and safety steer adjustment is 2. Awning and genset can wait.

At least we have another nice day here. The boat launch went very smoothly yesterday. I will drop in the floorboards and carpets, then recouple the engine shaft today. Then on to the coach work.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
May or may not apply: The sheathed linkage cables on the boat both shift and throttle are not able to be lubed. When they become resistant they must be replaced. The cable length is stamped near the end of the cable sheath.
Not a terrible deal for me, just 4 and about 10 or 12 feet but my buddy has a fly-bridge so it was about 30 feet for four of those, a walkie talkie thing. Not so bad for the lower helm.
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is my concern. I am hoping the problem is at the ends, not the cable itself. Could be a real PITA to change the cable. I will be working on that today, hope to resolve soon.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Checked the engine end of things. Not the problem. It is hanging up somewhere forward. I will be checking the front end shortly. There is definitely something sticking, anything over 1/2 throttle will hang up or drag.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Watching this with a great deal of interest as mine will hang up if I give it full throttle and sometimes have to stick my toe under and pull it back up.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Thinking air throttle. Back in my bus days many a bus converter would change to a air throttle. Only real disadvantage is starting as it will be in idle position and no way to increase throttle until you have air pressure. Next winters project.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post