Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Battery Oil
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Battery Oil
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
This going to sound like advertising, but is actual usage by me. The full name of the product is Therm Oil Battery De-Mister. On a 6 volt golf cart battery you remove about 4 oz of acid in each cell and replace with the oil.

Yup, I know! Snake oil! A friend of mine's battery lasted 11 years. So a year ago I got two new 6 volt batteries and did the deed. The result is they survived AZ summer with no apparent dameage. In that year I have added water one time and less than an oz per cell. No corrosion around the posts. This means I am happy with this snake oil.

Looking forward to thoughts of the crowd.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I've emailed my snake; awaiting reply... Cool

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
If you can get the Material Safety Data Sheets for this product, we can figure out what it is.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
Here is an opinion from sail boaters .

https://forums.sailboatowners....-or-snakeoil.149761/

Me , Don't think i would add it to my batteries . To each their own .

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
The batteries on my boat have averaged about 6 years and I replace them without waiting for failure. They are kept on charge and usually if overnight on the hook the only load will be anchor light, water pump, radio and cabin lights.
Morning will see use of the genset to make coffee, cook and the batteries will be topped off then. Often the genny will be running for the A/C overnight so the real draw will be during the day on hook with little load, water pump, refer from the inverter. Usually water isn't needed to be topped off for the first 2 to 3 years and little added after that. My last set (7 years old) were changed when I was 71, not because they were failing but because I figured if they need to be replaced in 7 years it might be someone elses problem or I would take advantage of the need to use money from my RMD. The batteries are outboard of the two engines so not only do they have to be lifted in and out of the truck bed, they need to be wheeled down to and across the dock, carried up and down onto the deck but then exchanged into the bilge, lifted over the engines and connected. Originally this was a 6 pack project but now I can't accomplish it if even thinking about a full 6 pack. Makes me glad I don't have the bigger batteries that would be in a diesel boat, maybe not, on second thought I wouldn't give a second thought to changing them myself. I don't think anyone has really gotten a hernia writing a check!

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
The batteries on my boat have averaged about 6 years and I replace them without waiting for failure. They are kept on charge and usually if overnight on the hook the only load will be anchor light, water pump, radio and cabin lights.
Morning will see use of the genset to make coffee, cook and the batteries will be topped off then. Often the genny will be running for the A/C overnight so the real draw will be during the day on hook with little load, water pump, refer from the inverter. Usually water isn't needed to be topped off for the first 2 to 3 years and little added after that. My last set (7 years old) were changed when I was 71, not because they were failing but because I figured if they need to be replaced in 7 years it might be someone elses problem or I would take advantage of the need to use money from my RMD. The batteries are outboard of the two engines so not only do they have to be lifted in and out of the truck bed, they need to be wheeled down to and across the dock, carried up and down onto the deck but then exchanged into the bilge, lifted over the engines and connected. Originally this was a 6 pack project but now I can't accomplish it if even thinking about a full 6 pack. Makes me glad I don't have the bigger batteries that would be in a diesel boat, maybe not, on second thought I wouldn't give a second thought to changing them myself. I don't think anyone has really gotten a hernia writing a check!

RMD Confused maybe something to do with retirement?

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I had 4 Optimas last for over 10 years. Didn't do anything to them except the Progressive Dynamics Charger, Intellicharger, and a battery separator system.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:

RMD Confused maybe something to do with retirement?

Jim

Jim, based on addressing a forum of a certain age I didn't identify that old folks goal from an IRA, the required min. distribution,RMD.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RMD, is a good example of Spelling out exactly what you are saying. I did not know RMD was either and assumed it was the Registered Marijuana Dispensary. This because California is now legal for Recreational Marijuana.
It is a good idea to keep in mind, you are speaking to our nearly four thousand members. We also get a few hundred visitors every day.
Think about the possibilities if Gary Carter would have used BO for his topic. Hide
Spell your thoughts out so every member can be on the same page as you. On the other hand, some things will always end up as alternative facts.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have heard of oil being used in battery cells but only in large stationary batteries. Apparently it reduced evaporation of water from the cells. As we have seen, with today's high class battery chargers there is little evaporation anyway so that is a moot point.

OTH, in a vehicle battery that sloshes around on the road it would seem that you might get oil on the battery plates. This would not be good, the oil would isolate the plate from the electrolyte and reduce the effective surface area of the plates.

In addition each cell is now 4 ounces short of electrolyte. This would have to reduce cell capacity. hmm

I would not use it in mobile batteries myself.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5179 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I had 4 Optimas last for over 10 years. Didn't do anything to them except the Progressive Dynamics Charger, Intellicharger, and a battery separator system.

Jim

Buick or Kia or 2 of each, or did you mean Duracell battery

Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Smiler ROTFLMAO Cool nono wack Deadhorse Superman

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B