Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Transmission problems
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Transmission problems
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 94 Barth Regal with 454 Gas engine and the GM 4 speed transmission. I bought the rig with 40,000 miles and it now has 47,000 miles. The transmission has apparently "cratered". I, yesterday,for the first time, started out pulling a Pontiac Grand Prix on a Tow Dolly and after about an hour of highway driving with some hills, the bands are apparently slipping so bad I can't hardly make any speed at all. The Tacometer revs up to about 4,000 RPM when it does this. If I sit for and hour or so I am able to drive about another hour. THe speedometer (electric) also quits working shortly before the tranny quits. The transmission has been "wildly" ever since I had the unit. I have written in about this before and someone suggested a shift kit for it but I think it's too late for that.

Any suggestions or am I looking at another pile of DOUGH? I'm getting tired of this.

Thanks,

Keith

Posts: 27 | Location: Aurora, CO USA | Member Since: 05-05-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but the tranny probably needs rebuilding. Or at least a teardown and inspection. There is a possibility that the pressure relief valve for the front pump is acting up. Once, I found a piece of debris that had gotten through the filter and wedged the valve partly open, making the tranny slip a lot. Trans has to be removed to check this. There is a modification for the 4L80E that requires a $100 drill bit or tool. It is supposed to make a big difference in heavy service longevity. I forget what it is, but if I find my notes, I will post here.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, good news for a change. I will answer my own question. The problem with my transmission was the Rear Speed Sensor. ($276.00) Thank you Jesus!!!. My Mechanic said it should be fine now and I should have no problems pulling a car with it. What happened is that when the Tranny warmed up, the speed sensor would quit and as soon as my speed changed, the Tranny would drop into 2nd gear and stay there until I stopped and let things cool off totally. Then when driving it would start all over again.

Thought you all would be interested in this.

Anvilman (EKW)

Posts: 27 | Location: Aurora, CO USA | Member Since: 05-05-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Way to go A-Man...We all felt your pain and now feel your gain....That is really good news.

------------------
Shortcuts Always Take Longer

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post