Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    wrenches and sockets
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

wrenches and sockets
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Does anyone have a list of the sizes of wrenches and sockets needed for a Barth toolbox? I would like to eliminate those sizes not used on a Barth so I could lighten my toolbox, which now weighs about as much as a Volkswagon Beatle.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
they have wrenches that are both metric and english toolmaster each wrench has both sizes

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
It really dosent matter.... Because no matter what wrech you need you will NOT have it... It'll be at home....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Fuggedaboudit. You'll need combo wrenches, sockets, deep sockets (and ratchets and socket extensions in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2"), and flare wrenches in metric 6mm-28mm (and maybe larger) and SAE 3/16"-1-1/2". Plus Robertson (square drive #1-#3), Torx 5-80, Hex 1/8"-5/8". Plus screwdrivers of all sizes, ratchet screwdrivers, awls, drift punches, adjustable wrenches, and hammers.

OTOH, nearly every town has a mechanic with most of his teeth and a strong education (Liked eighth grade so much he did it four times), so you really needn't carry many tools at all.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
All you need is 'Mr. Goodpliers" and a bashing tool. Smiler

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Here's my box. I think it was about 160 bucks at Autozone, but you can spend more or less. A set of pry bars is also needed. The little square hole screws that hold everything together use a different bit, so find one of those too.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Danny
That is a nice traveller tool set. I think, besides the pry bars you need a torque wrench and a BFH.
Those "square hole" screws are called Robertsons. A set of robertson screwdrivers is a common thing up here. I like the way a robertson head screw will stick in the head of the screwdiver for easy one handed starting.
Don

quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
Here's my box. I think it was about 160 bucks at Autozone, but you can spend more or less. A set of pry bars is also needed. The little square hole screws that hold everything together use a different bit, so find one of those too.

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
BFH.... That reminded me back 30 years ago, I had a boss back in college who said, "Never force anything...just get a bigger hammer..."

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K&E:
BFH.... That reminded me back 30 years ago, I had a boss back in college who said, "Never force anything...just get a bigger hammer..."
Or, you could try... mechanic
quote:
"If it don't go, force it... If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway."

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone have a list of the sizes of wrenches and sockets needed for a Barth toolbox?

About 3"x2"

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
Perhaps approach it from the "requirements" side of things.

What would you be willing to undertake as work in the parking lot or roadside far from home? Change a tire? Oil? Timing? Belts? Hoses? Fuel pump?

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I've got a test light, wire strippers, hammer, assorted screwdrivers, a pocket Ford "EEC IV" diagnostic reader and a set of sockets and wrenches like Danny has and a few adjustable type pliers... that's about it.

Spare parts consist of the old hoses, belts, idler pulley, distributor cap, wires, magnetic pickup for the distributor, electronic ignition module, fuses, electrical tape, wires and wire terminals. I'm sure some other small stuff too, that slips my mind, but not too much else.

I also do not carry a spare tire as tire vendors are easy to come by. If I need anything more than that, I'll call for road service or a tow. So far I'm doing ok like this.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Since I frequently boondock (Real "boondocks" - like the Nebraska Star Party, 35 miles from the nearest town, Valentine, NE, pop 2,800 - Grand Island is 250 miles away), I carry tools and spares.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I don't carry a spare, but I do carry a tire repair kit. and an air hose.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post
Can't believe we've gotten this far without "Duct Tape."

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post