Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Radiator Replacement 1986 P 30
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Radiator Replacement 1986 P 30
 Login now/Join our community

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doorman:
My 86 service manual show the only different between 454 and 6.2 being a internal oil cooler for the diesel.
Doorman

FWIW my 84 gasser had both an engine oil cooler and a trans oil cooler in the radiator. One in each tank.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Bill, i suspect that mine has an oil cooler in the radiator, but the ideal of laying on this frozen ice rink we have around here just didn't seam worth it. not worried though, Pux Pill says spring right around corner.
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just replaced my radiator in my 84 Regal 28 w/ 454 engine. FUN. Clearances were minimal at best. I took mine out thru the front grill opening. I had to remove a dash brace above opening that was riveted in place remove oil filler ext.,overflow bottle,fan shroud,hoses, fan, then poped the rad. out of the clamshell and brought those 2 pieces out. Next I lifted the radiator then rocked the top toward the engine then rotated the rad.side tank up kept lifting until the lower side tank could start coming forward and I believe there was abit of a tip then out it came. It was not terribly fun. I vowed never to do it again then bought an after market radiator from JEGS narrow enough to fit correctly (with an additional core and no internal oil &trans cooling) opting for external units.I also had to modify the "clamshell" which holds the rad. in place shrinking it by 3-4in. and welding it together then modifying the shroud and it's mounting to work as good as new. Needless to say with all of this effort I took this opportunity to put in a new high output water pump, deep 6 the A/C condenser, compressor and hoses, paint everything I had out, replace ALL the hoses, belts and do some wiring clean-up. With all that said after doing all of that I read on a P-30 web site that someone else who was faced with replacing his rad and opting for an aftermarket rad. simply took his Sawzall and cut rad and "clamshell" in 2 and pulled it right out. There's 2 more options for you to put in the mix. Good luck.

Posts: 6 | Location: N. California | Member Since: 10-08-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to replace radiator in 1985 Regal. I yanked everything out the front. AC, transmission cooler and radiator. There seems to be lots of chat about how to do it, but I can’t find anything about where to get a new one or something that will work. Would appreciate anything to get me aimed in the right direction. 518 BBC..thanks

Posts: 8 | Location: Volcano, Ca | Member Since: 10-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I replaced the rad in my 86 a few years back. P-30 Replacements are available but none have the forward facing filler neck. I was able to modify the support frame corner and it worked well.

Discussion here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...963900687#3963900687

good luck Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I replace mine with an aluminum one I found online, none of the ports were welded in so had them put where I wanted them, also it does not have a cooling circuit for the transmission.

Put in a transmission cooling unit and replumbed the lines. The rad cools better than the original even though it is a bit smaller.

The total conversion was like $500 while putting a new core in the old one was going to be $900. Not GM but works better.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found replacement through Superior Radiator, Mt Clemens,MI. Has all the inputs for oil and trans. Also has the forward facing port for adding fluid. Seems to be as close as you can get. $600. Nearest place that would rebuild mine was $800. New aluminum one for $600 seems like a deal to me.Now just have to squeeze it in without damage.

Posts: 8 | Location: Volcano, Ca | Member Since: 10-14-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I say you did very well!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post