Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Spring bushing failure
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spring bushing failure
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
Well is seems that the turd fairy has struck again! On the last trip I noticed a clunk coming from the right side front end when turning a corner. Thought it might be a shock or bracket but what I found was interesting and of course harder work.

The spring bushing has failed and the spring moved to the side striking the spring perch. The bushing has move out of the spring eyelet and it is shoeing the outer shell of the bushing has split.

The spring eyelet is OK and no evidence of a crack. Bushing part number from Spartan wrong!NOTICE this is for the heaver suspension using the Westport axle and Eaton 15040S rear end.

Correct aftermarket part number is RB-135, Just google it and you will find many sources.

Not sure if this is the same for those 30' Breakaway that use the Dana axles and lighter duty springs.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Failure or just plain worn out? Ed, Is your coach mileage close to a quarter million miles? Have you replaced the sprig shackles before? Thanks a bunch part numbers. Great for our archives.
Thumbs Up All of your tech posts are an asset to our archives. Thumbs Up
cheers

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I replaced all 8 of mine years ago. I also ordered a pair for the panhard rod, which is when I discovered it has greaseable sleeve bushings.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced all 8 on mine 7-8 years ago as well. I would have expected the rubber portion to fail before the steel sleeve cracking was a real surprise. I will have to replace the rears after I get back from Arkansas as those are showing rubber degradation.

Oh well more work!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I replaced all 8 on mine 7-8 years ago as well.

Ed, do you recall how many miles you have driven since the repair 7-8 years ago?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When you remove the old ones measure the diameters, lengths, od and id etc and call Energy Suspension Inc. Or use that Spartan No. and they will make you a set using polyurethane material and your failures will cease.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The polyurethane bushing work great, but gives a harsher ride. Did this on our bus back in the early 90s and finally took them out and went back to rubber.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used polyurethane bushings on many BMWs and other vehicle I set up for track use over the years. Never had good luck with them particularly where side loads were exerted on the bushings. (thrust arms, trailing arms) Polyurethane does not bond as well as rubber and will work loose. Also as Gary mentioned NVH was greatly increased.

Edit: I changed the bushings 10.5 years and 181K miles ago. I have removal and inserting tools from last change so it will not be to bad.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
One of my rear bushings failed this spring. I am replacing all of them tomorrow with Spartan parts. The guy had a hard time finding the part numbers because I drive an antique.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The part number I listed should be the same as your suspension is same as mine even though yours is longer.

Todd at Spartan is very good looking up "antique" parts

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:
I replaced all 8 on mine 7-8 years ago as well. I would have expected the rubber portion to fail before the steel sleeve cracking was a real surprise. I will have to replace the rears after I get back from Arkansas as those are showing rubber degradation.

Oh well more work!

Hey Ed, just tried to replace my rear bushings and Spartan sent me the bushings that don't fit. The parts guy said that he sent the ones the computer called for but they don't fit and I'm on the hook for over three hours of labor. You can't trust Spartan.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just corrected the bushing part number, The ones I got from Spartan were also wrong. Outer diameter and outer shell length were correct but the inner sleeve was too short, almost 4/10 inch.

Spartan must have made change in their system as the batch I bought 7-8 years ago were same part number I ordered this time but certainly these are different and will not work.

Dayton RB-135 is the correct bushing number.

Thanks Richard for your information, we need and have to use the same part number for this

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater