Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Best tow behind vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best tow behind vehicle
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11

Picture of Micha
posted Hide Post
I will be towing a Jetta TDI 2004 this year (60mpg), have to prepare it this spring.
First time towing and wondering about the problem on the road, not being able to back up easily, how often do you get in situations where you wish you had nothing behind?

Posts: 41 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Member Since: 04-03-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubba Barth:
Just drop the drivelines MWranch. I have also heard of a driveline disconnect kit. but do not know where to direct you.

Dropping the driveline is NOT an option, way too much trouble. would OK if I were going some place for a long time. I have used the Remco driveline disconnects before and it works OK but the cost is very high. Over $1k by the time their unit is married to a new driveline. Of course I have a lot more into the Amigo with the transplant but I wanted more power, smoother engine, more fun off road!

Yes it has IFS, it tows GREAT, don't know it is back there. Mileage actually increases while towing, probably wind drag is reduced.

Towing 4 down does require thinking and planning ahead. You do not want to get into situations where you would have to back up-----You can NOT back up. I had two instances where I had to disconnect, tried to back up with another working the steering wheel, it would not track and was putting a lot of force/stress on the hitch and toad frame.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I tow a 1995 Jeep Cherokee 4x4, four wheels down.
Easy to due by following these steps (1) turn key to the first stop (this frees up the steering wheel lock, (2) slide four wheel drive transfere case into N (frees up the transmission from the drive wheels)
You leave the transmission selector in Park because you are now free wheeling.

Never had any problems except once when I had (by mistake) moved the key to the second stop which ran the car battery down.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
I did it. 1988 Tin top 90k original. 2 inch shackle geared and a Webber. Drives very nice. 60MPH no problems. Now that's a great Toad.

Cheers
Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
So I reduced the size to a Gif. Why is it so Big? Did I do something wrong?

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did I do something wrong?

apparently, you did not use PhotoBucket, but rather posted directly in the forum

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When you attach files directly to your posting, they are stored here on the Barthmobile web site. Small text attachments, etc don't take up too much site memory, but it really adds up when numerous pictures are included in the posting.

To save on site memory, we send our photos to Photobucket. They store the massive files there. When we then include a link to the Photobucket file in our posting, there is almost no memory used here on the site. Photobucket also takes care of sizing, etc.

There are numerous tutorials on the site for this.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
Such a far better answer than mine, Steve.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Don't post .gifs - .jpgs or .bmps are preferred. I don't always have apps to convert .gifs to .jpg when I'm on the road. I've deleted the oversized .gif image for now.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
OK. Bmps. No problem. Is there is pixel ratio you would like to see? Kinda like an AVATAR?

Again Sorry. My program shows Gif being one of the smallest for the web. Maybe it's Jacked up or not set to the correct pixel ratio.

Cheers.
Meric

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Just use photobucket and it won't matter.

Even if I have a pdf file to attach, it takes less website memory to change the pdf to a jpeg, send to PB, then you only need a one line link in the posting. You can also attach multiple photos in one posting that way.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Yeah I tried the Photobucket thing. I do not like it. So I will refrain from posting pictures. Thought there might be a way of putting a small enough picture on this site. Thanks again

Cheers
Meric

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Sometimes, you get strange info from the manufacturer. Our 96 Cavalier has the small 4 cylinder engine and a 4-speed automatic. I've called GM and asked them if it can be towed 4-down. They said look in the owners book. The owners book is a generic book and does not address specific combinations of engines and transmissions. It just says you can't tow it 4 down, a statement that does not address any of the specifics. Back to GM, and tell them what the owners book says and they say, do what the owners book says. Then I talk to Roadmaster and Blue Ox and they both say you can tow it 4-down. GM just won't go to the trouble of connecting you to the proper person in some engineering capacity that can give you an informed answer. Of course, maybe all the engineers who were there in '96 are retired living in Florida and all you have now are people who can look at computer screens.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
"look in the owners book" CYA!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post