Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Best tow behind vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best tow behind vehicle
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
Cantrade - Subaru's can be towed 4 down as long as it's a manual. I have an Impreza that I've towed a few times. They can never be towed with a dolly and automatic's always need to be trailered. I've found this to be the best site for determining what can and can't be towed: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

1978 P32 w/454
s7708 2284 MC27 S-3

My dad makes me wanna Barth!

Posts: 20 | Location: Saranac Lake, NY | Member Since: 09-01-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
Andrew,

You are correct, of course, I neglected to mention that our Forester is an automatic. We planned to tow it behind the Breakaway until we found that no wheels can be on the ground with this model.

It all depends on how the rotating parts are attached to the transmission, it seems. With no transfer case to isolate the rotating axles from the transmission and the fact that it is probably lubricated only when the engine is running, add up to no-go. Manual shift transmissions do not have this problem.

With the Jeep Liberty automatic, it is all or nothing since the manufacturer advises not to tow it with a dolly on either end. Smiler

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/10
Picture of Andrew
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
quote:
the best site

?????

Where is my 1997 HONDA Odyssey?

I did not see it listed.

For some reason it doesn't list Honda's until 1998 but it looks like the 1997 Odyssey has the same transmission as the 1998 (I'd verify your transmission model first). This is what it recommends:

"- Towable as is with speed and/or distance restrictions. Please see Owner's Manual for confirmation and procedures.
- It is not recommended to tow this vehicle over 65MPH
- When towing for an extended period of time, start the vehicle as often as possible and allow it to run for five minutes to prevent battery drain.
- Officially from both Honda and REMCO the vehicle is not towable. However, we at Remco have a large number of customers who are flat-towing that vehicle behind their Motor Home and they are not having any issues. Follow the "Emergency Towing" procedures in the owner's manual to a "T" except ignore the restrictions and follow those procedures each and every time you tow. NOTE: If you choose tow your Honda, and have any damage to the Transmission as a result, you will have to pay for that expense out of pocket. It is nothing that Honda or Remco will warranty. Also, it should be noted that Remco sells no aftermarket product (Lube Pump or otherwise) to make this car towable."

Hope that helps.

1978 P32 w/454
s7708 2284 MC27 S-3

My dad makes me wanna Barth!

Posts: 20 | Location: Saranac Lake, NY | Member Since: 09-01-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
Our 2012 Mazda is so simple to tow 4 wheels down that it is amazing. It is a six speed manual transmission with no steering wheel lock. The key does not need to be in the ignition. Just put it in neutral with the brake off and go. It is small, easy to tow and we love it.

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Project Samurai is almost complete. Wiring harness is a challenge. Looking forward to towing the tin top toad.

Thanks everyone for sharing what you think is the best tow behind vehicle. It's clearly different for everyone.

Seems to be four major similarities with tow behind vehicles.

Keep it light
keep it simple
Do your homework
Get what fits your needs.

Cheers
Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting this previous topic.

Bill G, this about your 2014 Honda CRV

quote:
Originally posted by Bill G:
Great tow car, unfortunately 2014 was the last year you could tow four wheels down with the CRV. We almost bought a 2015 until I checked the specs out and realized they changed the transmission. We had to scramble to get a 2014. Love that car,it pulls nicely and is a convenient and comfortable vehicle. You’ll enjoy it.

It the CRV four wheel drive or front wheel drive?

I do not need four wheel drive. I see it as a extra fuel to turn two more axles on a "toad" with for wheels down. I am looking for a front wheel drive Honda CRV. Not all will agree that the Honda CRV is towable. The reason for the disagreement is, owners do not follow directions. The owners manual does not recommend RV towing. Many drivers tow faster than suggested for the dinghy they are towing. Others do not follow the warm up procedures carefully.
My 20 year old Honda Odyssey is not recommended for a dinghy. Together with the previous owner and myself we have been dragging this car around for 20 years. I change the transmission fluid every 25,000 miles. The Honda Odyssey first generation is light and spacious. I would buy another first generation Odyssey low mileage cream puff it I could find one. Most older Odysseys have 300,000 miles on them.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update Bill G. I copied your reply here.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill G:
My CRV is four-wheel-drive. I tow according to the manufacturers recommendations. That means starting it up and running it through the gears for at least three minutes. This should be done once every eight hours cording to the manual. However, I do it about every four. I’ve been towing this car now for three years with out problems. I also had a Honda accord which I towed for 10 years before that with the same requirements. I don’t drive fast, and with cruise control I run around 62 to 63 miles an hour. I have however, on down grades I’ve hit 75.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the Family Motor Coach Association towable vehicles for 2018. The Buick Envision looked like it might be worth checking out. I started reading. Thinking buying American would be a good thing.
Well guess where the Buick is made. Thumbs Down Sadly enough it is made in China. Thumbs Down Next thing you know Harbor Freight will be selling cars.
Steve VW I think you have the best TOAD out there. Roomy, spacious, light, German engineered.