Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Best tow behind vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best tow behind vehicle
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
We also tow four wheels down using a 2004 Toyota Echo hatchback with 5 speed manual trans. It weighs 2000 lbs. Tows like a dream.

Clint Webb
1990 Regency, with Cummins and Spartan.

Posts: 60 | Location: Saint John, N.B. Canada | Member Since: 09-18-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Ok so after some time driving the Samurai I would like to make a few notations.

It clearly redefines underpowered. My Barth is faster.

Definitely the worst handling vehicle I have ever owned. And I have had some real piles...

Not a safe vehicle by any stretch of the imagination.

Noisy

It's TINY... For me it's a one seater with my dog.

Now the good.

Did I mention it's TINY... Fits everywhere.

Smiles per mile are very high.

Put the Sport back into driving.

Yes it requires all your attention to drive with both hands. Perfect for a person with ADD.

LOTSO Mods and parts available.

1.6 liter conversion and front shackle reversal next. More later...

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have Isuzu Amigo which is just a tad larger than a Samurai and it is so much fun to drive, Mine has the removable hard top and I love it-----but it can not be towed.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
I love the Amigo.. What a fun ride. Something about strange metal....

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I think is going to work best for me is a 6x10 or 12 single axle 5k lb axle enclosed trailer

When I went from MI to CA and back in the Breakaway, I think I made a good choice by using a Featherlite 3110.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mho_2mvYWmg
I had a 8 1/2' wide, 17 1/2' long version. certainly needed nothing more than a 14' for my MINI. But resale market is broader for the 17. Furthermore, I bought mine second hand and was seeing more of the longer ones on the market. then I had a factory air dam or stone shield installed by dealer. I hate the corrosion and the weight issues of steel trailers. I hate the aero drag and the vision obstruction of enclosed trailers. Before I got my open Aluma cycle trailer, I had an enclosed 5X8. because Featherlite is highly regarded, I resold it for what I paid, after my trip.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
I like it. Specially with the air dam.

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubba Barth:
I like it. Specially with the air dam.

Yes, I felt I needed it as a stone shield. They now state "folding" which I don't understand. Mine was bolted to the lip and/or deck with SS fasteners. The new owner added a diamond alum tool box and a winch.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Yeah the price is right the deck is low construction is sound. I like it a lot.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
With a wide body coach an 8 1/2' axle trailer would be a better choice than an 8'. It allows you to see the wheels on the trailer out of your mirrors. I pull an enclosed 6' x 14' single axle. Harder to find a 14' over a 12', but I wanted the extra length for room and easier to back up.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks. I did not even think of that. I do have a camera focused on the area in question at all times. But using mirrors make more sense.

Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
I looked at the trailer fenders frequently, in the side mirrors, checking for bouncing, swaying or wobbling of the trailer. It gave me peace of mind that I could see the roof of the MINI, and also traffic behind the trailer, by looking trough the bedroom rear window.

Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
So I am sitting here thinking of the cost associated with a TOAD. I would assume a rental when getting to your destination would be cheaper.

Personally I enjoy having my rig with me but I think a rental option would be wise to consider depending on the trip.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Just returned from our second Winter going south towing our Honda CRV four down with braking. No problems whatsoever....have rear camera to check the vehicle and when turning rights and lefts can see the wheels turning. We have towed it a total of 10,000 miles and are very happy. The convenience of having the vehicle with you to do the errands is number one in my mind.Renting would limit the places you want to be and a tow dolly is an another item to store somewhere when not in use. Just my opinion....as you will see the different methods when travelling the highways....but mostly you see tow car four wheels down

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/09
Picture of Cantrade
posted Hide Post
We just returned from Yuma towing our 2005 Jeep Liberty behind the Breakaway. I used a Roadmaster 5000 tow bar coupled to the Roadmaster base plate kit designed for the car. A BrakeBuddy was used in the Jeep. A magnetic tail light system was coupled to the RV which did not require using the lights on the Jeep. (Bought this stuff new/used and found some great buys on eBay.)

The Breakaway easily towed the Jeep and it tracked very well. We saw quite a few TOADs of this model behind all sorts of RVs.

All you have to do is put the transfer case in 'N' and the automatic transmission in 'P' and turn the ignition to the unlocked position which is one click from 'Off'. It is real easy to tow 4 down with this car but the manufacturer says to not use a dolly on either end due to lubrication problems within the transfer case.

When researching models to tow I found that you should pay close attention to the recommendations of the maker considering the specific type of transmission and drive-line that is installed. (For instance, AWD Subarus cannot be towed with any wheel on the ground.)

Cantrade

1993 Breakaway 33'. Cummins 6BTA5.9 with Bosch injection. Upped to 260 HP or so. Third owner.

"If it's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well!!" Cummings Law

Posts: 140 | Location: Central New Mexico | Member Since: 04-18-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
I guess the best vehicle is whatever combination fits your budget and lifestyle.

Now for me the Tin Top Toad is coming along. 1.6 liter conversion is almost complete. Very excited.