Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Best tow behind vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Best tow behind vehicle
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/14
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted
Ok so I have been looking at tow behind vehicles. I can flat tow, get a trailer, or a car dolly. Just wondering what your experiences are.

Right now I am planning on flat towing a Jeep or a Samurai. But I could always get a car dolly and throw my shooter commuter on there and drag it along. I also have a flat bed that I can use.

I also have a few motorcycles. One endure and one cruiser. Perhaps mount the endure to the front and tow a jeep in the rear? Dunno just having fun looking at options.

What do you tow, how do you tow and why?

Cheers
Meric

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I currently have a Geo Tracker and a Suzuki Grand Vitara, both are set up for towing. The Tracker weighs about 2500 lbs and the Vitari about 3500.

In the past have towed a Samurai, Toyota starlet, and a Renault LeCar. Bought our first MH in 1978 so have a few years under the belt. I have always tried to keep the weight down.

I have carried a Yamaha 180cc scooter and a 250 Honda Elite on the front of the bus (GM4106) and sometimes a toad on the back.

I have always towed 4 down. Didn't want to deal with trailer of any kind in campgrounds. Personal choices, but mine.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Yeah I was thinking of a small 2 wd pick up or something. I have a 1970 2 wd GMC but it's a good 4800 lbs. Thought about dragging it along and selling while I was there. Rust has gotten the better of the older cars there.

Posts: 242 | Location: Sequim Washington | Member Since: 05-12-2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
if you choose a Jeep, make sure it is a later model, 1987 or later with the NP 231 transfer case. The earlier Jeeps with the Dana 18, 20, and 300 transfer cases are NOT flat tow able! Don't ask me how I know!!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys
Thought I'd weigh in on this one. Like Gary, I'm currently using a '93 Geo Tracker as my tow'd. Great little car, 2500 lbs., 4x4, auto. & the Breakaway tows it just fine. I started with a Suzuki Samurai, even lighter, but the Tracker drives & rides better. Also with my arthritis driving a stick is no longer a option. Now we just need to hit the road. Tooling Along

I've always thought a Fiat "Abarth" would be an appropriate tow'd. ROTFLMAO

Posts: 77 | Location: Seattle, Wa | Member Since: 04-30-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of RainCatcher
posted Hide Post
I have towed a Saturn Vue (3500 lbs) and I'm now going to tow a Honda Element @ about the same weight as the Saturn. I wouldn't tow anything other than 4 down for the same reasons as Gary.

"Keep On Truckin"
94 30' Breakaway #3866
5.9 cummins on spartan chassis

Posts: 206 | Location: Seattle | Member Since: 04-22-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
But MWrench how do you know?... lol.. Yeah if I had an old flat fender on back I would get a full floater with locking hubs in the rear. Smiler

One reason I though about trailering the Jeep is because I like to go 4 wheeling and it's only a matter of time before I break something. Yup I'm that guy. Someone has to try it. I have towed home some round metal before. ROTFLMAO

Now if I can stay out of the woods a 1972 Honda cvcc 600 would be awesome.

Why isn't there a 500lb car that gets 100mpg is 4wd and drives at 70mph without a problem?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
I tow a GMC Canyon 4wd 4 door pickup with a small golf cart in the bed. Tow it 4 down and this seems to cover most of our needs.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
I have a 1990 Isuzu Amigo 4 wheel drive but it is NOT I repeat NOT towable unless on a trailer.

Have found that planning ahead saves me the need to have a toad. Usually not in a place long enough to need a vehicle and if I do need to go somewhere mine is short and easy enough to drive and also no trouble to unhook and go.

Just goes to show you there are different needs for different ways of travel. I certainly see the need for some people to have a need for a toad, just doesn't happen to apply to me.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Like Mary Ray I have an Isuzu 4WD Amigo, BUT I transplanted a GM 4.3L V6, 4L60E, Dana 300 XFR case. Rear bearings of the Dana 300 don't get well oiled it seems! 6000 miles later a lot of rear tire smoke. HMMMM

OK now I have an electric pump to oil it as I am flat towing it. couldn't find anyone to make a floater/locking hubs so I would have to build the rear axle from a Dana 44. GRRRRR. Should have done better research about the Dana 300 issues, would have used a righthand drop GM XFR case.

Mary Ray, I may tow it to the GTG.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Just drop the drivelines MWranch. I have also heard of a driveline disconnect kit. but do not know where to direct you.

Well Tomorrow I am going to look at a tin top Samurai. I am a Jeeper by nature but there is something to be said for doing more with less.

It was a toss up between the tin top and the 1972 Commando. Since the tin top weighs considerably less I am going with that. Wish me luck.

Cheers
Meric

Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
The Amigo has IFS huh?

Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
And Turtle I agree but I was looking at the Scion IQ.

Picture of Bubba Barth
posted Hide Post
Hey I found the driveline disconnect page
http://www.swdriveline.com/rem...line_disconnect.html

Picture of Fred & Cindy
posted Hide Post
We tow four wheels down, a 2012 Mazda 3 Skyactiv, with manual transmission. There is no steering wheel lock. No must, no fuss.... just put it in neutral and go.

Fred & Cindy Cook
1990 32' Regency, Cummins

1990 32' Regency, Wide Body
Spartan Chassis, 8.3 CTA Cummins
4 Speed Allison Trans
South Central Missouri

Posts: 356 | Location: Missouri | Member Since: 06-24-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post