Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Campground hook up ....grounf fault indicator
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Campground hook up ....grounf fault indicator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Geez I love this machine...when I hook-up to an electrical circuit with a ground fault, it pops off. At my home no problem with a normal 120 volt plug. I use the 30 amp connector with a 120 volt adaptor and plug into the 120 volt outlet. Got an idea??

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
This may be a long shot, but from what read your coach must be grounded also.
Grounding the coach with a 6 foot grounding rod creates another problem. First before penetrating the earth one MUST call 811. {The call before you dig number.} Wait 48 to 72 hours and note the markings where you intend to put the grounding rod. Install your ground.
This grounding procedure leads me to believe that all electrical hookups need to have a permanently installed ground rod that we can attach to. Ground should be attach prior to plugging in.
Maybe one of our electrical geniuses could elaborate. Could it be an open ground somewhere that trips the Ground Fault Interrupter?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
As strange as it sounds, ground fault breakers do not even need a grounded system, they will work on 2 wires, hot and neutral. The breaker measures current going out the hot wire and returning through the neutral. If the currents are not exactly the same it means current is leaking out of the loop (going to ground, maybe through you!) and the breaker trips.

My old cottage has the old 2 wire electical system and ground fault breakers work there just fine.

Not sure why it would trip one place and not another... If the neutral is floating and has no where to go the voltage will not be 0V and it will try to find another path to ground. hmm

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve VW, I knew you could explain it better than me.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
At my home no problem with a normal 120 volt plug.

Try a GFI circuit at home and see if it is just your coach is leaking current, as Steve VW explained.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Even though your coach was built with a ground line and a neutral line, the ground line should NOT go to ground. It does that at the power pole. If the generator is running, the ground circuit will go to chassis ground thru the generator.

It used to be common practice to tie neutral to ground somewhere in the coach. Often at the A/C. This will trip a campground GFI.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
This is nuts!! I turned off every circuit breaker and it still popped. I have a timed relay box, when the generator is turned on after like 30 seconds, the relay energizes disconnecting the line service and connecting the generator. My line cord does have the ground wire (green) going to the chassis. BTW generator power is fine all runs well when in use.

I am going to try a GFI at home and see if it pops. Shall I try it with disconnecting the power line ground also? My wife is going to love an extension cord going to the bathroom!!!! Oh well I have done worse.... Thanks all for the help.....great Bunch of Folks!!! Are the pronouns correct for you Canadians!!! lol

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
BTW I once found how to help support the web site, not able to find it again, so much good stuff here and love for these great beasts I want to help keep it alive and well!!!

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
I had this problem on a boat years ago. The boat had a floating neutral to prevent stray current passing through the metal contacting the sea water. Could not hook up to a GFI protected post.
I would check and see if your neutral is bonded to your coach chassis and aluminum skin.
An ohm meter between the neutral post in your shore cord receptacle and body metal.
If no contact you have a floating neutral and a GFI will trip.
The GFI's should be installed in the coach anyhow not the power post.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
BTW I once found how to help support the web site, not able to find it again, so much good stuff here and love for these great beasts I want to help keep it alive and well!!!
Thank you Duane88 for your support. A while back I suggested to our Host Bill NY to take time to update badges. On Bill's behalf, I apologize for "Support Banners" not being updated by Bill NY. Your patience is appreciated any one morning you will wake up and see your banner has been updated. It just won't be tomorrow.
Here is the link you asked for. You can also avoid the pay pal fee and send checks directly to this address:

If you prefer to mail a check please send payment to

RDR Repair
PO Box 2305
Newburgh, NY 12550
Attn: Barthmobile

Make check payable to: Bill Napolitano

Cheers and Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L78steve:
I would check and see if your neutral is bonded to your coach chassis and aluminum skin.
An ohm meter between the neutral post in your shore cord receptacle and body metal.
If no contact you have a floating neutral and a GFI will trip.
The GFI's should be installed in the coach anyhow not the power post.

Maybe it is in the Name "Steve" You members named "Steve" are full of tricks.
Keep in mind L78steve, many campground 20 circuits are on a GFI.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
In my prior post I misspoke. The neutral line should NOT be tied to ground in your coach. If it is you will trip the GFI. Many parks are also putting GFI on the 30 amp line. BTW they are building to NEC. So Neutral is Neutral and Ground is Ground and they shall only meet at the power pole,

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Just a question..If I were to cut away the grounding terminal of my plug would that confuse the GFI and let me get power?

posted Hide Post
I may be a bit confused, but according to Steve VW in the above post, the ground has no effect?

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The ground provides a path for current, but only if there is leakage from the power circuits.

There are GFCI (ground fault circuit interruptor) breakers that will trip when sensing leakage from the circuit. These are the common ones we see in the kitchen and bathroom, also the 20 amp circuits in most RV parks. These will work on only two wires.

There are fancy ground fault "indicators" on some RVs that check for continuity of both the ground and neutral connections, making sure that if there is a leak it can go to ground. These may not allow current at all when the ground is not connected, even if current is not leaking.

I suspect the latter type device is the culprit here. It is apparently designed to prevent connection to a suspicious power source and trips off. Removing the ground lug might work but I'm not sure how Duane's device operates.

If you are using a 4 prong 50 amp to a three prong 30 amp adapter, some 30amp ones tie the ground and neutral together internally, some don't. Some adaptors can confuse the GFI.

Interesting problems, food for thought.

Keep us posted as you learn more about the quirks of your system!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post