Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    vacuum pump
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

vacuum pump
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
Just before going to the Florida GTG I was checking my fuse box and found a blown 20amp fuse. It was labeled vacuum pump. I replced the fuse and when I got to the GTG I check it and it was blown again. Replaced it and again it is blown.
Where is the vacuum pump and what does it do? There did not appear to be any difference in the way the engine ran.

Jim

1985 Barth Regency 35ft
225HP(T)Detroit Diesel Allison Tran.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The vacuum pump probably runs the flappers in the HVAC system, although on mine, it also powers the cruise control. Nick and I had the OEM pumps, and IIRC, both were in a rear outside compartment (at least mine is). I replaced mine with a Volvo pump, and I think Nick did the same.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I could not locate the vacuum pump anywhere around the engine area.

Any of the fellow Barthers with a Regency know where the vacuum pump may be located?

I have a 1985 Barth Regency with the Detroit engine.

Thanks, Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
Jim, my pump is located behind the passenger side headlights, left of the generator. Looks like a small air compressor.
Sky

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/13
Picture of sk8er32283
posted Hide Post
Mine is also near the generator behind the passenger side lights.

1988 Barth Regency 38ft
CAT 3208AATC Intercooled
Allison 4 speed w/ air shifter
Gillig Chassis
7.5KW Onan Diesel Generator
Click for Charleston, South Carolina Forecast

Posts: 81 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID(United States Navy) | Member Since: 01-01-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Mine was on the driver side above the generator, probably because I have the front entry door. It was a venturi type device that used a constant high pressure air from the onboard compressor to cause a vacuum that operated the HVAC doors. I replaced it with a small vacuum pump. I found no fuses however since it was a parasitic device and not an operating pump.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
The "Volvo" vacuum pump went out and I decided to see if I could find a little heavier duty model. I found this one on the internet. This is the website.

Here is a picture of the new pump followed by a picture comparing it to the "Volvo" pump.

Here is the pump installed and yes it is just inside the front grill just to the side of the generator slide.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Jim
On my 82 Regency it was behind and above the bumper on the passenger side of the coach. You could see it through the front hatch down beside the oil tank for the jacks.

ED.

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
I have not found it yet, however I will be checking all those locations.

I did find a mess of wires hooked to probably what is a cruise control unit. Who ever did the hook up certainly did a poor job of it using wire nuts instead of proper connectors and just shoving the wires together. In fact I found wire nuts used on other connections under there.

Thanks again, I'll check back when I find it and thanks to Nick for his info for a new one.

Jim

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 01/08
Picture of Deb&Eds38
posted Hide Post
Jim

On a differant note can you make it on the 25th to Kissimmee GTG

Posts: 357 | Location: Ortona- Turkey Creek Florida | Member Since: 10-04-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Sorry, No can't make it.
Jim

Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Do I need a new set of glasses????

I have looked under the front end, behind the front grill, in back of the head lights, on each side of the generator, looked from inside down onto the generator, front & back and on each side and haven't found anything that look like a vacumm pump. I even looked under the dash.

I think I'll try to take a picture of that wiring mess and what it is hooked to. I did notice it has been altered as prior owner screwed a bolt into an air/vacuum line(?), maybe this is what is being used as a vacuum pump.

Jim

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
On mine it also had a plugged hose, but that was because the venturi vacuum device was not working. Yours may have been removed. Mine was above the generator on the firewall inside the front grill. These were totally mechanical devices and had no power or grounds to them. They would not have a fuse. Is it possible you had a venturi vacuum device that was removed and the fuse is unrelated to the problem? FYI the Volvo style pump was also made by Ford and in many models of their cars in the 1980's. I installed that one and it is still working though it cycles very often. I suspect I do have leaks in one or more of the vacuum motors that control the HVAC doors. My next job is to replace those motors with new electrical motors and ditch the vacuum completely.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is under the coach on crossmember just behind the brake master cylinders and in front of the propane tank

Posts: 21 | Location: Pine Island, Florida | Member Since: 08-01-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Tim,

Thanks! It was on a metal plate welded on the crossmen in front of the propane tank. Thumbs Up

I tried to turn the fan blade and it would not move. Next I'll remove the pump and go from there.

The bolts holding it on will likely snap off as they are very rusted so they are soaking in Blaster fluid.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and where it might be and what to possibly replace it with.

Barthmobile members make this a site of helping, fun, information and suggestions for enjoying our RV's, GTG's and travels.

Jim