Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rusty, ok I am cheap
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rusty, ok I am cheap
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
I went over to the discount store to get some oil. Shell seems to only package !5W40 in the 5 quart size and it says diesel heavy duty. I could not find Rotella in 10W40, except in 1 the quart size.

Now I am a frugal individual, and buying oil in the 1 quart container will cost me about $2.00 more than in the 5 quart container. Now that is almost 2 cans of Miller Lite!!

Could I use Heavy Duty Diesel Rotella 15W40?? Or spend the big bucks for 10W40..lol

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Wait, what, you actually pay for Miller Lite? According to my manual it says that 10w 30 is what should go into the motorhome for best fuel mileage. I order all my oil from Amazon (usually in the winter when their prices go down with less people doing a search for it.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Google: Using Rotella in gasoline engines

You’ll get tons of sites & discussions, Some of them actually sound knowlegable.

I use Rotella in the Cummins and wanted to know if it was useable in the propane generator.....consensus seemed to
be “not an issue”

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wait, what, you actually pay for Miller Lite?

Benebob can I get Rotella 10/40 in 5 quart containers on Mozilla, how about Miller Lite???

I talked with our resident expert, his consensus was in my 454, 10W40 Rotella was the best.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim_Rockford007
posted Hide Post
most of the good stuff is almost gone out of rotella now also, you will have to start running a bottle of supplement .

Posts: 43 | Location: Auburndale,Fla | Member Since: 03-23-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Jim, Do you mean "mouse milk?"

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
One thing needs to be cleared up:

Rotella was an HD oil for naturally-aspirated diesels (and gaso engines for which it meets the API classification).

Rotella T is an HD oil for turbocharged diesels (and API compatible gaso engines, but generally overkill).

All current Rotella products have blurred the old distinction, in recognition of the fact that NA diesels have become a rarity.

What is important is the API class, and CJ4 is more than enough for Barths, but CK4 is compatible (and pricier). Rotella also meets most API Service classes, so is usable in gaso engines.

As far as viscosity, use what the owners manual says, but 15W40 can be used instead of 10W40.

As far as LPG generators are concerned, most call for straight 30 above a certain ambient temp. Personally, I stick to the manufacturer's recommendation, especially with air-cooled gensets, where the oil contributes a lot to cooling.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim_Rockford007:
most of the good stuff is almost gone out of rotella now also, you will have to start running a bottle of supplement .

For the benefit of our new and seasoned members could you please post here again your knowledge on "bottle of supplement" or as what you have often referred to as mouse milk.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
As far as viscosity, use what the owners manual says, but 15W40 can be used instead of 10W40.

Whoopie I can buy more Lite beer!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine