Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Barth was stolen need help with value
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth was stolen need help with value
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/18
posted
Hi, my name is Jeremy I bought my barth from my grand father who owned it for many years and it was in the family prior to that. I had a 1979 27 footer with the 454 chevy motor. It was stolen from the restoration shop and supposedly destroyed. I have seen a barth on this site that was the same model for sale but I had much more doen to mine and if anyone knows a expert on appraisals I really need help. They know who took my RV and now I need to get a good replacement value for it. This is what I did to my RV. It was in a Hurricane so it needed lots of help.

Start with the motor:
Was rebuilt at 75k it had 83k on it when I bought it, I put a cam, race headers, elderock carb, straight exhaust, high power altenator, all new wires and hoses, race cooling system (larger hydrolic cooler, aluminum oversized radiator, larger fans, high power intake, race valve covers, oversized oil pan, and anything that needed to be replaced was done. I was going to pull a large trailer so it needed more power and more cooling.

Suspension, I had Air shocks all around

Paint was in good condition

Two new AC units
Fantastic fans in roof windows
Generator in good working condition
One new fuel tank, other was good
4 new tires, 2 were good conditon
Electric step
Window tint all around the bus
New Awning

Now inside
Starting at the front
New leather seats (grey)
All new apoilstry on dash(not installed)
New carpet and wood flooring
All walls with wall covering
All ceiling redone
Cabinets original
European sinks installed with tall faucets
crushed marble countertop in kitchen
original stove in great shape
new refrigerator
new couch
extra water storage
5 head shower installed
2 flat panel tv's
3 stereos, including car audio, home audio, and computer surround
Satilite Tv
Onboard computer to update guages for systems
Removable seat with speaker box below for outside (bench seat)
All new updated lights 12V and emergency lights
New seperator doors
All windows with Blinds and custom drapes
New beds
Updated electrical system
New batteries

Posts: 4 | Location: Florida | Member Since: 06-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forums! Sorry your first post had to be so depressing.

I owned an insurance agency (in FL for 25 years), so I've dealt with this issue many, many times. Much of what you're about to endure will depend on what company is providing coverage.

If it's known who took the coach, I have to ask, why isn't it recovered? Why is it suspected to have been "destroyed"? And who is telling you it's been destroyed? My "BS meter" hits 9.8 with that sort of info.

You didn't mention whether it's your insurance company or that of the restoration shop that's primary on the claim. This could be important, as the shop should have one of three types of Garagekeepers Legal Liability (GKLL - and in FL, it would be comprelled to tell you). The basic form is GKLL, which covers the customer ONLY if the shop is legally liable (such as an employee driving it and running into something). The second covers only the amount (usually the deductible) the customer's coverage doesn't. The third form covers for any loss occurring at the shop, whether the shop is "legally liable" or not.

Assuming the coverage is under your policy, it's important to determine the type of coverage you have. Settlement will be based on one of the following:

1. Agreed amount: You and the company have agreed on the actual, specific, amount in the event of a total loss.
2. Actual Cash Value (ACV): The amount a willing buyer and willing seller would complete a sale, neither under a compelling need to make the deal.
3. Stated Amount: The LESSER of ACV or the stated amount.

I'll assume you have #2., as ACV is the most common. Much of what you've done to the coach would be considered "upgrades"; this is important.

Some things aren't: (And the expected value is shown in parentheses). Mostly, this occurs because replacement of cerain 30 year-old things is due to "wear-and-tear". (But see below*)

1. New leather seats: Unless the prior were fabric, $0
2. Upholstery on dash: $0
3. New carpet and flooring: $0
4. European sinks with faucets: ~50%
6. New reefer: $0
8. Extra water storage: Cost
11. Flat-panel TVs: Cost (Maybe - digital TV rendered many TVs useless without a converter
12. Satellite: Cost
13. Stereos: Cost
14. Onboard computer: Negotiable. Incremental upgrade over prior instrumentation

* It's important to distinguish between "upgrades", i.e. Satellite TV, vs. "maintenance". "Upgrades" are an addition to the ACV. "Maintenance" items serve to add to the value of the ACV.

Let's use the engine as an example.

The cam, carb, headers, cooling system imptovements, and intake are "upgrades". The new hoses, valve covers, and wires are "maintenance".

I'm splitting these two (maintenance and upgrades) out, because adjusters are required to do so also.

The first figure that will be contentious will be the underlying value of the coach; this will consider the value of maintenance items that would enhance its value. Upgrades are added onto that value, and in your case, having had no use, should be valued 100% of your cost (including sales tax and labor). Normally, depreciation is considered.

Now, the most important thing: Document every single contact you have with the adjuster/s. I mean everything! Every word, if possible. Make no commitments on the value of any element, but make them submit in writing anything they say.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
If it's known who took the coach, I have to ask, why isn't it recovered? Why is it suspected to have been "destroyed"? And who is telling you it's been destroyed? My "BS meter" hits 9.8 with that sort of info.
Welcome to our site... Respectfully, there are a few questions I would like to ask so that "we" can collectively turn off our BS Meter.

Now, before you get upset with the bluntness of my opening statement, please read the rest of this post and you'll soon see where we are coming from.

I am assuming you registered on our site back in June because of this. Why has it taken 2 months to ask this question?

Who has your coach?

Where, exactly, was this coach stolen from?

Can you answer most of Rusty's question?

Do you have a picture of this Barth and the Vin# and data tag # to share? I know that no one here would willingly buy stolen property.

Besides telling us everything it has and asking us to appraise it for you, I would think that you should be telling us more so that the thieves wouldn't have a real avenue to sell this stolen merchandise. Thus making their Ill gains even less valuable.

I've had several members who have privately asked me to try to gleam more info from you. No one wants to see someone taken advantage of, and if it happened to you we want to make sure that this place is one less avenue for the thieves.

I am sorry for your loss, please help us to better understand this so that you can have the full weight (for what it's worth) of our site and membership behind you. We have a pretty large knowledge base here with members who are in the biz... we might be able would love to help you some more.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for your loss. With all the upgrading and attention given to this coach I would expect a lot of photos, please post as many as you can.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the "BS Meter" pegs, not due to Jeremy's post, but to whoever told him it was known who stole it and that it was destroyed. That just doesn't add up. Well, it does, to "something fishy going on here!"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flbeachbum:
Hi, my name is Jeremy I bought my barth from my grand father who owned it for many years and it was in the family prior to that. I had a 1979 27 footer with the 454 chevy motor. It was stolen from the restoration shop and supposedly destroyed.

Jeremy, your profile shows owning a 1979 24 foot. Is this the same coach. If it is what is the correct length? Do you have any record of the Barth Data Tag information? If so it will remove any questions regarding length.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
These postings are an excellent example of the quality of the members of Barthmobile.com. A combination of compassion, scepticism and the compelling urge to assist Barthers in need. Bravo!

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Francis Brantley
posted Hide Post
This post came up on my checking on wood flooring. Did ANYONE ever hear anything from flbeachbum after the initial correspondence. Just curious what happened.

Posts: 29 | Location: South East, Mainly Mississippi | Member Since: 04-11-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Brantley:
Did ANYONE ever hear anything from flbeachbum after the initial correspondence.
Nope... Wouldn't worry about it either. The day he posted this was the only day he showed up on our boards.

The records show his last login here was on that day. I contacted him via his email address and I even tried to friend him on facebook, but still nothing.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post