Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    LED vs Incandescent - Video!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED vs Incandescent - Video!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted
While deciding whether to replace some exterior lights with LEDs I searched this forum for quite a while and received good info. I ended up getting lights from Super Bright LEDs Inc.

Red Taillights: 1157-R45-T
Backup lights: 1156-WW45-T
Amber markers: WLED-AHP5
Red markers: WLED-RHP5

One thing I did NOT find here was something to convince me of the improvement in brightness. The difference is sort of amazing. So here you go! A video (is there an official Barthmobile video archive?). Granted, this is in daylight, with the rear end in shadow. At night the difference will be even more dramatic!

Incandescent on the left and LED on the right:

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 235 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of crouch38
posted Hide Post
WOW , What a difference . That convinced me .
Now another project on the list, Thanks to Quinn. Cool

Bob

Year:: 1986
Model:: Barth Regal
Length:: 25 ft
Engine:: New Chevy 454 HO
Chassis:: P-30
Data Tag Number:: 8606 3339 25FP2

Posts: 262 | Location: Wampum , Pa | Member Since: 02-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used some of the same LEDs when I did mine. The lights are so much brighter people think my brake lights are on, until I hit the brakes and even brighter. Clearance lights really show too. I thought of doing one side, then pictures but I forgot. Nice job!

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...873980677#9873980677

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
There is another thread on Light Emiting Diodes. LED lights are the light of the future if you want to boondock off the grid. If you searched I am sure you have located the thread. Maybe try LED light UPGRADE. Find it and resurrect the topic!! Thumbs Up cheers

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you use as a load resistor? I notice most threads don't make mention on the use of load resistors or where they were mounted. I'd like to convert my tail lights (dreaded pink lens syndrome) for brightness and better color.
Mac
'93 Breakaway

Posts: 28 | Location: Chardon Ohio | Member Since: 02-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Almost all of these replacement bulbs have resistors built in, they replace the bulbs directly. Most are 9-15VDC.

Some are polarity sensitive, most are not. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5187 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I think he is asking about a "load" resister that would increase current thru the turn signal blinker relay so it would still function.

There are solid state turn signal controls that can replace the existing control.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mwrench is correct. So... did you swap out your flasher relay or add a load so the existing flasher would work?

Mac
'93Breakaway

Posts: 28 | Location: Chardon Ohio | Member Since: 02-16-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I added 2 10 ohm 25 watt resistors to the turn signals (left and right). I added these resistors up front in the electrical cabinet. Convenient location as in my Breakaway all the terminals are marked.

I also added a resistor to the stop light circuit so the cruise control would work correctly.

As these resistors are only used when the turn signals or brake lights are used, there is no added current drain while dry camping, only while driving and only when using the turn signals or brakes..

At the time I didn't try to source a solid state turn signal control,

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Questions: if the old bulbs are replaced by the LED's that have resistors
1/do you need to change the flasher relay(s)?

2/ are the resistors strong enough that the cruise control will still work?

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post