Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Windshield for 89 Regency on Gillig chassis
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Windshield for 89 Regency on Gillig chassis
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Kelshe
posted
A question to those with more knowledge than me:

Sheila and I have a '89 Regency on a Gillig chassis. Does the center vertical gasket in the windshield conceal a steel structure? Or, once glass and gasket is removed, it is a single large opening?

Thanks, Kelly Reynolds

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Glass and rubber only.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Now can anyone offer a source for the gasket system?

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelshe:
Thanks. Much appreciated.

Now can anyone offer a source for the gasket system?

Might try here http://www.kiderubber.com/glazing-profile/ I think they have the glass to glass and the periphery extrusion also.

Here is another might have USA outlet https://www.rubberstock.com/pr...es/glazing-profiles/

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Thank you Duane!
So now on to the project....

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
What are you doing? Replacing all the rubber?

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the plan. It's old- probably original- and has lost all its flexibility. Want to do this prior to the glass moving and create leaks. A "smear" of silicone already exists on the edge of the gasket and glass surface.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Are you getting new windshields also?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
The glass on each side is great. Hope that with luck and a very sharp glazing knife the glass will survive. Glass is etched DW730 and 731 and after reading other posts that seems to be the replacement pieces if necessary.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
java Good luck. Thumbs Up Hopefully you can take some pictures to post here, which is a link to the for sale posting. java

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Make sure to use butyl NOT silicone on windows.
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Hopefully some useful information. In the process of asking about windshield gasket suppliers I have come across a couple of sources.
1. Coach Glass in Eugene Oregon. Gaskets, OEM and after market glass. Plus installations if you are so inclined.
2. Intermountain Glass in Boise Idaho. Same as above but only after market glass.
3. Duncan Glass. Many of you know of them as I see this name in glass replacement strings in the tech talk forum. Both mfrs above offer gaskets at prices below Duncan.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Keep us updated on your progress!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I have had many windshields replaced on my Breakaway, same glass as yours uses. Mine has a metal bar going vertically and can be seen between the rubber edges from the inside the outside is covered by the gasket locking strip. I will check tomorrow and see if that metal piece is attached to the nose or is an insert in the gasket.

Mine uses the same windshields as yours, very easy to find. The last one was from Coach Glass as I was in Colorado with a smashed passenger side/.

Now both left and right windshields are in need of replacement. They don't like rocks at all.

UPDATE: The metal insert on the inside of the rubber gasket does indeed run above and below the horizontal edges top and bottom of the windshields. That is as much as I can see in the dark and rain, haha. I would find it hard to believe that the windshields would only have a rubber gasket between the two pieces of glass.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MWrench:

UPDATE: The metal insert on the inside of the rubber gasket does indeed run above and below the horizontal edges top and bottom of the windshields. That is as much as I can see in the dark and rain, haha. I would find it hard to believe that the windshields would only have a rubber gasket between the two pieces of glass.

Not many might care but the 72 with its smaller extinct windows had nothing but the rubber seal between the two windshields. Don't want to drift this thread just thought it might be of interest to some.

I believe in a post on the windshields a while back someone said when they replaced the windshields on theirs the said the center metal had rotted/rusted/corroded to the point of needing replacement. Do you suppose the wide body coaches have 2 pieces of metal? One on either side of the strip?

The replacement ease (finding glass) was one of the main reasons the PO had purchased DBarth. As far as I know he never had to but he had problems on a previous SOB. He started with a VW and ended with a Barth!

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1380 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post