Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Actuators ? (not attenuators )
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Actuators ? (not attenuators )
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Can anyone explain what the term 'attenuators' actuators and their relationship to my HWH leveling system? Dr. George RV in Sacramento is advising I need to replace them all ( 4 ea )..
Only ref. I can find with net searches deals with electronics.. or is that it ?

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
You sure he didn't mean actuators?

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,
Maybe, I might have heard wrong or he was incorrect.. They don't work on chassis based items any more, just house stuff.. I did a search on B-Mobile and found several threads... I'll look a little more and see if I can assist him with parts..Is this a normal fail on a 27 year old coach that sat most of its life? Any sources (part numbers, etc..) for new ones that folks like?

anyway to change thread titles ? now rather have 'Attenuators or Actuators' or maybe just..'Actuators'. no one will be able to locate this thread with that one word title.. D'oh

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
By actuator, do you mean the part that kicks down the jack from horizontal to vertical? The parts for the kick down actuator are about $10. Here is a picture of the seals in the kick down actuator.

There are more photos on this photobucket page.
Mike with the amount of authority and posts you have you should be able to correct your topic by clicking on the eraser in your first post.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is a copy from our photobucket file.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
thanks Kevin.. would it be better to have the complete actuator replaced? Where do you get those? from HWH maybe..?
Barth installed these I guess, not Gillig..

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
I do recall that someone posted here that HWH will rebuild them for about $300 each, That was a few years back. It would also require the shipping too. There should be someone in California that can rebuild them for less.

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
HWH leveling system

read these??

http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/chassis/leveling.php

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doug . I have the 110 series, not listed, that I see, in that list..

from my other posting..
HWH Manual link to post..

from this post on IRV2, here's a guy who used to work for HWH and is willing to help anytime..info only.. see post #6 in the thread.. IRV2 HWH guy..

M/C-W

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
I'm quickly approaching a deadline of needing my rig out on the coast.. I don't think RV Doctor George is going to come through on the HWH actuators replacement before I need to bring it home ( DMV Temp Lic runs out end of Aug..)

There has been net discussions I have found on leaking actuators bleeding the air system and if left in Drive or reverse ( not by me..) it freezes up.. Am curious if there is a single air line that feeds the HWH lifters then branches out to each one. I'm asking if that single feed line can be closed so I won't lose air all the time until I can get it repaired. My lifters wouldn't be useable but will keep air in the system and can build back up anytime I start up. I will then have time to find a local service place that can re-build the actuators on the HWH lifts or replace or..whatever..

Any ideas here..?

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
Now I am confused Mike. hmm The leveling Jacks on my Gillig are not air powered. Mine are hydraulic. The hydraulic oil fills the kick down cylinder and this moves the jack to a vertical position. Once vertical the jack can raise the coach. There are no air lines going to my HWH levelers. java hmm

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Frowner Welllllll.. Now that I think more about it..You are right..My manual even says Hydraulic Leveling ! Somewhere I thought I read somewhere ( here one example..) that air played some role..that link doesn't deal w/ the actual HWH product I think I have though..

Those that have the Gillig Air Chassis around 1990 models, do you have the 110 series HWH levelers? Either kick-down or straight acting ? Manual page with system specifics.. Maybe I'm dealing with two different problems.. is there an emoticon for 'grasping at straws ' ?
Not being that mechanical, I wish I had a mechanic that could deal with everything even when I don't know the problem. That guy I had in Texas sure knew his stuff. I really need to find one in Northern California that I can trust..

side question: is it recommended that when shutting down, to leave air shifter in neutral so when air is drained out eventually, you at least can start up your coach and then have the air system 'fill up' to operational levels? Its my understanding that you can't start in gear ( at least with the air shifter indicator showing Drive or reverse..)

Anyway, thanks for the correction.. Slogging on.. java

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
Mike, if your Air Shifter operating properly you can NOT turn your engine off in gear. nono head bang It has nothing to do with purging the air from the air lines.
You can dump the air bags pressure once you have all four jacks in the vertical position. The air bag bleed switch is near the leveling s jack controls. The switch actuates three air valves. Two in the back and one in the front. The switches are normally closed. The current from the air bag bleed switch actuates the air switches to open and let only the air of the airbags. The chassis will then come to rest on the vertical jacks. If the jacks are not down the chassis will just come to rest on the frame. The air bleed will not remove air form the rest of the air system. Your air bag solenoid switches or 'actuators' may also have manual shut valves on them. My airbag dump valves do have manual ball valves on the air solenoids.

Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:

Those that have the Gillig Air Chassis around 1990 models, do you have the 110 series HWH levelers? Either kick-down or straight acting ? Manual page with system specifics..

Kevin, which one do you have?

M/C-W

posted Hide Post
I have four 16,000 pound kick down jacks. Some Gillig bus frames have two 16,000 in the back and lighter jacks in the front.
Maybe Tom K of Tom on Julie on here will reply. I think his has lighter capacity leveling jacks in the front.