Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Rear wheels
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Rear wheels
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of drew
posted
My 76 barth is in need of at least a couple of tires. When I took a closer look, when the front two tires were replaced the wheels were also replaced. The back wheels and tires are still running tubes. Does anyone know if there is a cost effective way to retrofit my old wheels to tubeless or should I try and find replacement wheels? I am currently running the 7.50x16 tires. Any help would be great!

8411316331FP1
1985 Barth 31 foot
454 Chevy

Posts: 65 | Location: oklahoma | Member Since: 11-14-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Most wheels are designed for tubeless tires but sometimes folks will install tubes to overcome slow leaks which are common on old rims. They tend to get rusty over the years and this leads to slow leaks. Take your RV to any truck tire store and they can tell you just by looking if your rim was designed for tubeless or tubes.

Hope this helps,

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Our 76/77 had rims that were designed for tubes only--- this can be easlly seen once the tire and tube are removed, as the hole for the tube through the rim is not round, for the older tube type rim.
There are adapters that will cover the oblong hole but I have received inconsistent advice on whether to use them. In the end I bought new rims for the front and run the older style on the rear.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Pay attention to the holes where the lug nuts seat too. If too worn you might just want to replace the wheels and probably never have to worry about them again. Working on my bus i found a steel wheel that had a crack. Not knowing how old any of them are,(could be original from 1968) but knowing that they have been on there for a long time, i decided to buy 6 new ones......about 100 bucks apiece for 8.25 X 22.5s. One less thing to worry about, Gonna be able to sleep better at night now. Sleeping

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post