Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Roof ac power
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Roof ac power
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
New Dometic roof air has quit. Determined that the 110vac is dead. Have checked breaker and supply and everything is good at the circuit breaker. Trying to trace the power between the breaker panel and the front ac. Need to know if Barth used connectors to link main wires to appliances, if not then we are mouse hunting. Anyone who may have had the same issue? Drawings suggest wires are on street side somewhere in bathroom?
As usual, any ideas are welcome.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Barth used cheap connectors in some of their 110V wiring, particularly in AC circuits. You may have some tracing to do.

See here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...993956657#7993956657

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom: YES i had the exact same problem and it was one of those super crappy connectors! I used a tone tracer and found the break to be under the riser that the toilet sits on. Pain to get at but the connector was burned.

I found the other connector for the rear A/C back by the closet. I turned on the A/C for a bit and that connector was HOT, replaced all connectors i could find. used small junction boxes and soldered the wires, shrink wrapped so no further problems.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Same here, although the connector for mine was outside in the reefer compartment.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Same problem on my Euro, a previous owner did the strangest wiring, they pulled a piece of romex cable through using the existing wires to the roof, put a 120 plug on it and plugged it into one of the outlets under the rear couch. Now the circuit breaker for the inside outlets also has the A/C on it.

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Well, we found the issue - once we found where the connectors are in the Regency. Suspect this is typical of lots of Barths over many years. The first connector is in the compartment under the foot of the bed next to the power panel. Most Romex wires have sharpie writing on them and some pen writing on the connector. The connector writing is basically gone. The next connector(s) are under the floor of the sink cabinet in the back. You have to remove the back panel and the floor and then you can get to them. They are also marked but some are covered by the plastic loom. Just cut that crap off, it's useless. Anyway, it is very difficult to reach the connectors as there is no access except through the door. I cut off the connector and then stripped the wires and checked for power by turning on the breaker. Voila- connector was bad and corroded. Replaced them with Wago Connectors that are available from electrical suppliers or on the web. Got the power back and now trying to figure out why it starts and then shuts off. Suspect the dip switches are not correctly set. I recommend changing all the connectors, as they fail, with the Wago's

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I would be tempted to run another new, unspliced, wire from source to load. Sooner or later any connection can fail, esp in high load circuits. Tough job to snake through I'm sure.

I have not found that style of connector in either of my coaches. (Maybe just no failures yet)) Not sure they used them in early Regals or late Monarchs.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Not too much of a drift but what is a 'tone tracer'? Sounds like a very handy tool. I need to trace the power wire that feeds my thermostat since the thermostat is not getting any power. It's either find the problem or splice another hot lead into the thermostat.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A signal generator sends a signal (tone) on a wire, and a separate receiver detects the same wire downstream.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Our 86 Regal has connectors located under the front couch. So far have not failed.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
Tone tracer is sometimes called a fox and hound.
I've used mine many times in the Barth to find mystery wires.
Very handy..

https://www.parts-express.com/...-tracer-kit--390-231

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post