Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    replacement front brake line flex hose too small %^&*!
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

replacement front brake line flex hose too small %^&*!
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Just picked up a couple of new flex hoses for the front (1973 22' with a 454)...turns out they are about 4-5 inches shorter than what I need. It appears the originals are about 28" or so...local parts store can't get em...anybody have a source?

tx

Dave

Posts: 13 | Location: southern ontario | Member Since: 04-25-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
All mine came from NAPA. The mech took them off and brought them in to NAPA, said this is the only way to get what you need. By the way, good call replacing them, don't forget the rears.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
There are many hydraulic hose places around that can custom build them. I'm sure you would have one in Ontario. I had new ones made for my Studebaker and they weren't much more than the el cheapos at the parts depot

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Replaced the rear already. Front right wasn't bleeding much, found a whole lot of muck and rust in both calipers, replaced those, tried to bleed, right still not bleeding, turns out flex hose was jammed and compacted with trash halfway down right after the crimp on clamp fitting...
Life will be better when i get me some flex hoses.
tx a bunch

Dave

Posts: 13 | Location: southern ontario | Member Since: 04-25-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Doug Z: What model Stude do you have?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Doug Z: What model Stude do you have?

I have a 1950 Champion two door sedan.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it really IS that sweet.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Mine:
Glad to see another Barther has great taste!

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
Very nice Tom! Nothing flies like a Hawk.

W4JDZ

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave & Lea:
Just picked up a couple of new flex hoses for the front (1973 22' with a 454)...turns out they are about 4-5 inches shorter than what I need. It appears the originals are about 28" or so...local parts store can't get em...anybody have a source?

tx

Dave

I just checked my records, and my 84 uses 23 inch hoses. I would suspect your hoses should be the same length as mine, since P30s didn't differ much in that area.

Is it possible that a previous mechanic used longer hoses for some reason?

Do you have a picture of how yours are routed?

Do you think you could route them a little differently and use shorter hoses?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Is that really a golden Hawk. Is it Packard powered or super charged?

I'm a little green.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here are pictures of the front left and right brake flex hoses. Left is original at 28+ inches and right is what comes from auto parts store at 23 + inches, plus my el cheapo fabricated bracket and 6 inch steel line extension.
Still baffled....