Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Spartan Master Relay replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Spartan Master Relay replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
Things have been slow in the Tech Talk Forum lately! Mechanic

On the way back from Florida it was 18 degrees and when I tried to start the coach there was no power at the key switch.

The Spartan chassis wiring routes all chassis power through a master switch located near the batteries in the rear. From that switch the power cables go to the front and rear power panels. Each of these panels has two copper buss strips to supply power to the individual circuit breakers. One of the strips is directly connected to the battery feed. The other strip gets its power through a master relay which is controlled by the key switch.

When the key switch is turned on, the switch feeds power to the master relays, which route power to the strips to operate all the running circuits. If the relays fail to make, there is no power to the circuits.

When I could not get power from the key switch, I tried the headlights. They worked, so I knew there was power to the front panel. I left the switch on, went to the panel, banged on the relay and the dash lights flashed. Aha! Apparently the relay would not work that cold.

For the time being, I connected all the power wires on the relay together and everything worked. At the end of the day I shut all the power off with the master in the rear.

With the warmer weather today (34 degrees!) I replaced the relay. The original relay has axial, rather than radial, connections, like these:

I already had a couple of heavy 85A constant duty relays around. Slightly different than the original but fit in well.

Cole-Hersee 24059BP (widely available, under $20)

I shut off the main switch, removed the old relay and bolted in the new one. You can see where the power feeds in from the lower right. (One of those wires is the battery connection to the generator) The lower copper strip is the one which is on all the time.

When the key switch turns on, the relay closes and the power is routed to the upper copper strip. The terminal strips at the top feed the wires going out to chassis lights, etc.

When the relay failed, I just connected all the wires together on the bottom stud so both strips were powered up.

Here is the rear power panel. Circuit breakers at the top, 3 live and 4 switched through the master relay. Immediate left is the Main Power switch. Just to the right, terminals pointing up, is the rear master relay.

I will replace that relay on the rear panel soon. Looks crusty. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine was in a box mounted to a hanger, and the genset enclosure interfered with removing the cover.

It's the same one I replaced, although I opted for the weatherproof one so I could eliminate the box and cover.

https://www.waytekwire.com/ite...ed-Continuous-Duty-/

Like you, I may replace the rear one with the bare version, but it tests well for now.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Excellent choice in an exposed location. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5180 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
I'll be carrying Cole Hersee continues duty spares in the near future.
There is one on the rear frame rail for a secondary start relay.A bit tough to get to but get to know its location.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by L78steve:
There is one on the rear frame rail for a secondary start relay.A bit tough to get to but get to know its location.

That one is the reason I had those relays already around! Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Steve, Steve and yes my father's name was STEVE. Thanks you "STEVE" members for posting this valuable information. I need to know where my fuel shot off is located on the Purring pussy CATerpillar. I will be looking for the fuel shut off relay(s).
Just this one topic shows every member the value of the resource we members have here.
Even if Lee Merriman takes his knowedge of Barth to the grave Barthmobile.com WILL overcome.
We have the most ingenuous members here!

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post