Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Sound deadening
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sound deadening
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted
I was getting ready to re-carpet and was trying to cut down the noise....particularly around the engine area. I've priced VERY EXPENSIVE dynamat etc....and wasn't that keen on using it.

I found another product at Home Depot. It is self-adhesive rubberized roofing membrane. It has adhesive on both sides and is rubber about 1/8 of an inch thick. It's only .30 per square foot. I also have found a 1/4 inch thick product that is has bubble wrap with aluminum foil on both sides. I was thinking of putting down the rubber first, then the foil/bubble wrap, then another layer of rubber and another layer of foil/bubble wrap, then the carpet pad and carpet. Any thoughts?

Also, in the center of the coach in the kitchen area, I was going to put down vinyl. I was thinking of even putting down the rubber,laying the vinyl onto the ruber and adhering the vinyl to the rubber...

Any Thoughts or has anyone tried this?

K&E

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/09
Picture of Jeff & Joy
posted Hide Post
I can not give you any "sound" advice, but I would be very interested on how it all comes out.

Posts: 144 | Location: wolverine, michigan | Member Since: 07-24-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
J.C. Whitney has a catalog of several items that can be used to insulate engine compartments for sound; some expensive, some not so. It would be wise to stick with products that are designed for the heat of engine compartments.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
posted Hide Post
Thanks for advice. I did intend to use proper items under the doghouse near the engine heat. I was talking about inside the coach under the carpeting to help seal-out/mute/deaden the vibrations and what little heat gets to under the carpet/pad. My thoughts were by using 4 alternating layers of rubber/foil-bubblewrap/rubber/foil-bubble-wrap, it would make a 3/4 inch tight sandwich under the carpet/pad. In a perfect world where money was no object, I think the best item for sound deadening is probably Dynamat. But at $7 square foot, that is close to $900 to do the coach....not counting carpet. I was calculating this method would run about $1.50 square foot.

Posts: 429 | Location: The Great Midwest | Member Since: 12-04-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Sound control material has three objectives with an appropriate rating system for each.

1. Damping of vibration, like a resonating door skin or speaker enclosure. Dyna mat is designed for and works well for this.

2. Absorbing of sound. This is measured by the NRC, or noise reduction coefficient. This would be useful inside cabs or engine rooms, or to absorb sound before it got out of a genset compartment into the outside environment.

3. Blocking of sound. This is measured by the STC, or sound transmission coefficient. The higher the rating, the less sound gets through it. This would be useful in preventing the travel of engine or genset noise into the interior of a motor home.

For a doghouse, I would pick the product with the highest STC that the budget allows.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Ultra Barrier is a very expensive very good product that I used to line the inside and outside of the doghouse, using spray adhesive and tin tabs, then sealing the seams with duct tape. The results are astounding, but the bucks and the work are worth it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post