Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need recommendation on header gaskets for Ford 460
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need recommendation on header gaskets for Ford 460
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
Developed exhaust leak and need to replace header gaskets on 1990 Barth with Ford 460 and banks headers. Would appreciate any input/recommendation on best gasket and header bolts to use. Only want to do this once.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
http://www.cpperformance.com/p...anifold-gaskets.aspx
You can but FRP Bolts from Summit or Jegs. Just be sure you clean everything and use anti seize and torque them as described in a Ford 460 Manual.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I would either check with Banks or go with dead soft copper gaskets. Banks headers have a pretty thick plate, so shouldn't have leak problems. Follow their recommendations on torquing.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/16
Picture of coaster48
posted Hide Post
Have the same problem. I have an exhaust leak, and broken bolt on passengers side rear,but do not have headers. From ALL the research I have done,the 460 should not have any gaskets!! The only possibility is what Bill H.said and that is to use soft copper gaskets.I am going to replace the bolts with the Ford exhaust bolt kit and resurface the heads if necessary. I was considering doing the Banks exhaust but do not want to put out the cash at this time.I thought that the Banks headers were supposed to stop the exhaust leaks caused from overheating?

1995 Regal 31 Ft.
Ford F 53 Chassis
460 EFI

Posts: 93 | Location: Sechelt,B.C. Canada | Member Since: 03-17-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coaster48:
Have the same problem. I have an exhaust leak, and broken bolt on passengers side rear,but do not have headers. From ALL the research I have done,the 460 should not have any gaskets!!
I had an exhaust leak because of the same issue with broken bolts in the head on my 460 Ford. I wound up drilling out the old exhaust bolts. I replaced my manifold with "Banks" exhaust headers and am very happy with the results.

The old exhaust manifold never would have fit as it seems to have "shrunk" where the bolt holes should have lined up with the head. hmm

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Must have washed it in hot water ROTFLMAO

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You'd think after all the years of experience with cast iron the car guys could make a manifold that would last! head bang

GM used 3 different types of manifolds on the 454 and none were really stable, all had crack and leak problems. Headers seem the only final fix.

Apparently the longer the head/manifold, the more expansion, cracking and warping. I always thought they'd be better off with a split design with 2 short separate pieces. But what do I know....

(I think some of car guys did make cuts between ports to allow for expansion) hmm

Good luck! Too bad they don't make nice double sided copper gaskets for those, like the "blow-out proof" ones they make for Lycoming aviation engines.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:

Apparently the longer the head/manifold, the more expansion, cracking and warping. I always thought they'd be better off with a split design with 2 short separate pieces. But what do I know....

(I think some of car guys did make cuts between ports to allow for expansion) hmm

The ultimate fix is slots and oversized holes in all but the center. I have the mating surface machined flat, and spot-face the area around each hole. I use Unbrako washers.GM has a lube that allows the metal to metal interface to move and conduct heat. I put it on the washers, too. Never had a broken stud after that.

Cooling down the engine before shutoff also helps. My electric fan runs until it detects lower temp in the upper hose.

Having said all that, I use Thorley headers for the torque. Their Tri Wye design is perfect for MH or heavy truck use.

quote:
Good luck! Too bad they don't make nice double sided copper gaskets for those, like the "blow-out proof" ones they make for Lycoming aviation engines.

MH engines operate in a situation that would drive Lycoming engineers to drink. My favorite airplane exhaust used to be the Comanche 260 set up.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
I will check with Banks. I was not aware there is no gasket and presume I have a header bolt getting loose. I would like to go ahead an replace the bolts. Not sure how rusted (I expect badly) they are but would soaking with PB blaster for a few days be the way to go or is there another trick out there.
Thanks for the help.
Ray...

PS... Just bought new Air Bags for rear suspension from Jetco and will update with pics when finished.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
I will check with Banks. I was not aware there is no gasket

The Banks kits usually come with gaskets.

quote:
and presume I have a header bolt getting loose.

Often the result of improper torquing on installation. I like to cold torque, then hot torque twice, a hundred miles or so apart.

{quote] I would like to go ahead an replace the bolts. Not sure how rusted (I expect badly) they are but would soaking with PB blaster for a few days be the way to go or is there another trick out there.[/quote]

PB is good, and some swear by Kroil. Another trick is to heat the bolt with a torch, and let it cool completely. Resist the temptation to apply ice. The rapid cooling could loosen things, but is likely to make the bolt brittle.