Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Which proves the point that we are training people to read computers, not to solve problems. Pretty soon, all the workers will be able to be replaced by computers who can read other computers even better than humans.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pretty soon, all the workers will be able to be replaced by computers who can read other computers even better than humans.

People laughed about military aircraft eliminating the pilot, but it is taking place as we speak. The human is the weak link in a fighter jet anyway. The key will be can humans remain in control?

We will all be gone by the time this question reveals itself, that is for sure.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The vibrations are finally gone; the final solution was replacement of the left front wheel. The original was only about 3/16" out-of-round,but that was enough.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Great news. Now what was your problem in the first place Wink

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
1. Warped rear wheel
2. Rock caught in groove of rear tire, damaged the belt
3. Thrown balance weights
4. Worn kingpins
5. Belt separation, front tire

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
But you always keep on goin'! Gald the problem is over.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I am low on turn signal oil. Stuff is hard to find. Does anyone know where I can get it? I need summer grade.

Tom Taylor
Mystery Barth

Posts: 306 | Location: Jacksonville FL | Member Since: 05-21-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use only Mother Fletcher's Triple-refined Snake Oil.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/10
Picture of Patch1st
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am low on turn signal oil. Stuff is hard to find.

Most places that carry muffler fluid will have it.. Try Walmart or Harbor Freight....

Click for Saint Clair Shores, Michigan Forecast

Patch1st
35' Regency
MCC Chassis
8.2 Detroit Diesel
"Partly Cloudy"

Posts: 455 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-17-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It's been awhile since issues meriting posting here. And I'm not sure I've isolated the issue.

Three (electric) lift pumps have quit in the past two years, the first was a new preventive replacement, only a few yards from my repair shop, and with only a couple hundred miles on it.

The second on the road to the Cagles'last May; not having the right fittings, I got towed and it was replaced by Macon Kenworth.

The last, again headed to Cagles' for Christmas, quit on the road, not far from where the one had quit in May. This time I had a spare (I now carry 2), and installing it discovered a poorly-crimped butt connector, which I replaced. With the new pump installed, I was on my way in a few minutes.

But this time I retained the "failed" one - and it tested fine on the bench. Now, I'm not so sure the prior pumps actually failed ...

So, long-neglected on my "to do" list is rewiring the lift pump for three reasons:

a. Bypass the chronically weak relay on the oil pressure sender, and

b. Provide a reliable and over-capacity power supply to the lift pump, and

c. Change the wiring connectors to make the connections more reliable and easier to replace the pump.

I'm also going to make a couple of minor changes to the mounting bracket to make it more accessible.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Provide a reliable and over-capacity power supply to the lift pump,

Is it possible the lift pumps were failing from not getting enough current? Not enough supplied current is hard on any electrical motor.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Change the wires to a larger gauge first from the relay to the pump.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Going from a #16 to a #12; the total wire run will be reduced from 35' to 15'.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Going from a #16 to a #12; the total wire run will be reduced from 35' to 15'.
How about going from #12 to #16 reducing the wire run?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
There are many areas where Barth (and most RV makers) didn't use appropriate wire size for the length and current draw. Good example is the house water pump. I shortened the wire and increased the wire size to 10 gauge to and from a relay, I got a big increase of water flow and pressure.

The water pump wire runs to two switches and is very long and small. Now all the switches control is a local relay near the pump.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post