Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I kept the "failed" pump I replaced in Dec. Tested on the bench, it works fine... head bang

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Like you said earlier Rusty.

Provide a reliable and over-capacity power supply to the lift pump

The pump was not getting enough JUICE!

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
See my last year's post on the Turd Fairy.
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I started getting a vibration in the rear about a year ago.

So I balanced the tires. Still there, but it came and went, and was barely noticeable, so I lived with it.

It got worse, so I had the tires re-balanced. Still there.

Had the tires balanced again. Still there. A couple of months ago I noticed unsual wear on the right rears covering about 60° in the same place on both tires, and one wheel had about 3/16" lateral runout, so I replaced it and the tires and put in balance beads on all four rears. Still there.

The shocks were weak, so I replaced them. Still there

I had the left rears pulled, and noticed a small stone had imbedded into one of tire's the grooves and had severed at least one belt and damaged a second or third. Replaced the tires. Very little change.

Earlier this week, I replaced the water pump, because there was dripping from the weep hole; I was none too pleased, as the engine had <30K miles on it. Removing the fan to get to the pump, I saw notches in the blades where they had rubbed against the steel shroud. At rest, there's at least 5/8" clearance.

This could be caused only by bad motor mounts, so I checked them, and the left was toast, and the right, none too good.

I had the motor mounts replaced, and the problem seems cured; apparently driving at certain speeds started a sympathetic vibration in the engine, and it was bouncing.

I don't know if the problem's really fixed (I've thought that before), but it seems to be.

EDIT: I added link to a source for HD motor mounts in this thread.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I finished the new harness for the lift pump today; one 3" stretch of the old had 3 butt connectors in a row. This new one is soldered and heat shrunk, and I made taps for running a relay and a new ground, if needed. The tap can also be used to jury-rig a temp connection. Mechanic Tooling Along

I also fitted spade terminals at all connections and modified the pump bracket, so if I do have to replace the pump again, it's a 10 minute job instead of 45 minutes.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
For fun, I tested the kickin and dropout voltages on the spare high-quality and generic lift pumps. The former started at 4.85VDC, the latter at 10.45VDC. Quite a difference - and the High-quality pump was much more assertive.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This has nothing to do with Barths. Because my Chevy van was totaled by Irma's flood, I've been looking for a replacement - rooms for the dogs, and robust towing capacity.

I located a suitable replacement, oddly enough at the same dealer from whom I bought the van and the Toyota Sienna, an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD.

It's been in the shop for weeks, for correction of a minor issue where the key can't be removed from the ignition, or the buzzer continues after removal. After tracing the wiring and replacing the switch (twice), the culprit was discovered...a bad bushing on the shift lever. Due to its weight, it was dropping on its own from "P" to "R", activating the key lock and buzzer...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
This has nothing to do with Barths. the culprit was discovered...

But maybe it does have something to do with a Barth. My key witch needed replaced on the Barth due to the previous owners' ring of keys bouncing down the highway. Do you think the dangling keys were the cause for the bushing to wear in the Cadillac Rusty, causing the key buzzer to activate? hmm

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:

But maybe it does have something to do with a Barth. My key witch needed replaced hmm

Your key witch? Way to go with the Halloween theme! ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, I bought the Escalade, picking it up tomorrow. It's not exactly what I wanted (the totaled '05 custom Chebby van was), but part of the low price was the rear seats are gone. Perfect! Lots of room for the dogs with the center seats folded down, and I don't have to mess with the third row seats.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke