Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
again PS The afore mentioned temperature refers to the drink, the ambient can be any d--n thing you happen to be enduring at the time. Yesh I am on my nexshed one.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Dubbs:
I just checked the manual, these bearings are mutiwrenchinal.

Dick, if these bearings are truly multiwrenchinal, then they should also be multimufflered. They should fit "cherry bombs", "smitty's", or "glasspacs". If you don't have a bearing for each side just hold 2 for the same side. When I install them I'll just turn one upside down.

Thanks, Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
are they the ones that fit the large tail pipe at the end or the standard one that is on the rest of the coach?you know that most have the large end piece so everybody thinks that are that size and not the smaller one..I am lucky I have the larger size all the way threw.So save me two large ones with the wrenches mine have expanded in the last hour.
thanks lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted Hide Post
Dick, Nick et al.
Just having a tot or two of Baileys with my coffee this morning and it came to mind that if these bearings are not available I found the mains from my old Norton Commando worked well. Just be sure they are the later "superblends" and not the earlier variety that were so prone to failure in high heat apps.
Have a happy Sunday.
Don
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
quote:
I just checked the manual, these bearings are mutiwrenchinal.

Dick, if these bearings are truly multiwrenchinal, then they should also be multimufflered. They should fit "cherry bombs", "smitty's", or "glasspacs". If you don't have a bearing for each side just hold 2 for the same side. When I install them I'll just turn one upside down.

Thanks, Nick

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nick.........I guess if you had two from one side you could put one on aft-forward and the other fore-aftward, it wouldn't look very nice...but who looks?

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...........and just think...this all started with Rusty getting a vibration in his rear!

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don in Niagara:
Dick, Nick et al.
Just having a tot or two of Baileys with my coffee this morning and it came to mind that if these bearings are not available I found the mains from my old Norton Commando worked well. Just be sure they are the later "superblends" and not the earlier variety that were so prone to failure in high heat apps.
Have a happy Sunday.

Don, you've triggered some memories, there. Present 850 Commando has Superblends, (and is not ridden as hard) but when I raced a 650SS/Atlas, mains were the bane of my existence. I was always alert for that ominous, but almost imperceptible rumble that meant a day wasted in replacement. Before the Superblends came out, I got mine from FAG, I think. In my own case, I did not think temperature was a factor. Certainly, Willow Springs and Riverside had a wide range of temperatures. I think my engine mods stressed the bottom end more than it was designed for. (It started life as a low-compression, single carb 500.) I had so much compression that only White-Pump Chevron was suitable, and with a too-wild cam, had to start it on soft plugs and change after warm-up.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
...........and just think...this all started with Rusty getting a vibration in his rear!

That one's still here, but I think the one in the back of the Barth is fixed...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I thought, "Why is that Frisbee getting bigger and bigger?" Then it hits me...

The vibrations I was sensing seemed to come from the back - today, on my way back from Green Bank, WV, I was on a very smooth section of I-77, so that the road surface had no effect.

Then it occurred to me that the driver's seat is right over the front axle...and I was able to feel the shimmy in the steering wheel. I'll take it in later this week for alignment and check of components.

And with the new motor mounts, the engine's not thrashing around wasting energy - fuel economy is up again...from 10.5 to 11+.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The mechanic discovered a badly worn left king pin, and a set is on order. Interestingly, the service manager mentioned that the ones installed use teflon bushings, which tended to wear easily. The replacements are steel/bronze.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Do they still ream kingpin bushings?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The king pin already done reamed these. I don't think it's legal anymore.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
StaRV II is on the road (RV park in NC). The drive up produced what may be mixed results.

The vibrations at 55+ are much reduced, but they persist - and come and go. One theory is that the roadway gets "scalloped" due to heavy trucks, and this is causinig the primary vibration. This has been (maybe) verified, as the vibrations disappeared when I passed weigh and agriculture inspection stations, where truck traffic would be minimal.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Epilogue (I hope)

Another trip to truck tire place because the shimmy persisted; they rebalanced all six tires, and it seems to be solved.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I had mysterious shimmy/imbalance problems on 2 vehicles, a Chev pickup, & a GMC motor home. In both cases it turned out to be misalignment/displacement of the steel belts. It was easy to detect in both cases, once we got the rigs off the ground, spun the wheels & watched the tire tread wobble.

In the case of the motor home, the previous owner spent hundreds of dollars in several shops across the U.S., re-balancing tires, replacing wheel bearings, etc. A friend of mine, hearing my complaint about the intractable problem, pointed out a wavy tread on one of the rear tandems while the coach was sitting still; an improbable problem, but easily corrected by replacing what appeared to be a perfectly good tire, once the displaced tread was discovered.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post