Barthmobile Portal
It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/138109001

06-05-2009, 10:47 PM
Rusty
It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
I started getting a vibration in the rear about a year ago.

So I balanced the tires. Still there, but it came and went, and was barely noticeable, so I lived with it.

It got worse, so I had the tires re-balanced. Still there.

Had the tires balanced again. Still there. A couple of months ago I noticed unsual wear on the right rears covering about 60° in the same place on both tires, and one wheel had about 3/16" lateral runout, so I replaced it and the tires and put in balance beads on all four rears. Still there.

The shocks were weak, so I replaced them. Still there

I had the left rears pulled, and noticed a small stone had imbedded into one of tire's the grooves and had severed at least one belt and damaged a second or third. Replaced the tires. Very little change.

Earlier this week, I replaced the water pump, because there was dripping from the weep hole; I was none too pleased, as the engine had <30K miles on it. Removing the fan to get to the pump, I saw notches in the blades where they had rubbed against the steel shroud. At rest, there's at least 5/8" clearance.

This could be caused only by bad motor mounts, so I checked them, and the left was toast, and the right, none too good.

I had the motor mounts replaced, and the problem seems cured; apparently driving at certain speeds started a sympathetic vibration in the engine, and it was bouncing.

I don't know if the problem's really fixed (I've thought that before), but it seems to be.

EDIT: I added link to a source for HD motor mounts in this thread.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
06-05-2009, 10:55 PM
Nick Cagle
Have you checked the ground wires on the tires? Ooops

Nick
06-06-2009, 12:36 AM
Rusty
Dang, NO! And that was the first thing you mentioned last week...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
06-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Shadow man
Better check your muffler bearing while you are at it. Smiler
06-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Dick Dubbs
speaking of muffler bearings.........in the process of dismantling the 29 ft. '77 MC I came across a whole bunch of them and set them aside. Anyone who needs some can have them if they come and pick them up (they're too hard too ship) if I can find them again.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

06-06-2009, 05:50 PM
Nick Cagle
Dick, I would like to install dual exhaust with a couple of smitty's on the 3208 cat. Can you save me a couple of the muffler bearings and I will pick them up when we come to the DC GTG.

Thanks
Nick

P.S. I will need one left side counter clockwise rotating bearing and one right side clockwise rotating bearing.
06-06-2009, 06:32 PM
lenny and judy
would they be Timken rollers in the thrust position?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-06-2009, 06:34 PM
lenny and judy
still don't know where shower water goes? lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-06-2009, 06:42 PM
bill h
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
would they be Timken rollers in the thrust position?
lenny

I went to Muffler Bearing School at Boeing. They said use only TAPERED roller bearings in that application.

quote:
Nick: I would like to install dual exhaust with a couple of smitty's on the 3208 cat.

If you do that, be sure you back off the advance curve to prevent preignition.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered
06-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Rusty
With dual exhausts, one is held on by standard threads, the other with left-hand threads, so you'll need a left-handed wrench.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

06-06-2009, 09:24 PM
lenny and judy
I made those also they came in handy when we sent to NAM
to fix the m16.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B
06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Dick Dubbs
Aww! tuff luck, Nick these were connected to dual cherry bombs attached to the '77 454 gasser. ....doesn't preignition on a diesel make you go backwards? and M14, M17 ...could never replace the M1 Garand. I have a combination box wrench, one end right hand the other left. I think Bonney used to forge them.

06-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Dick Dubbs
....PS shower water goes down the drain!

06-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Dick Dubbs
PSS. DUH!

06-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Dick Dubbs
I just checked the manual, these bearings are mutiwrenchinal, they only need a quarter turn either left or right, it said something about bayonettes and breach blocks but I didn't understand that. I tried to post the manual but my scanned ate the original. ............go figure! Oh! Oh! I have a drink for you.......beer drinkers:..... 1 part Yuengling Dark-Brewed Porter, 1 part Yuengling Premium Beer (Yuengling Original Black and Tan), 2 parts Yuengling Lager. Blend carefully in a very tall glass or mug or stein to avoid foaming over. Sip, drink or guzzle at temperatures over 43 degrees and under 50 degrees. reeefreshing! to recap 1 can half and half and 1 can lager. (or bottles) warning! no frosted glasses or any of that "ice cold beer" crap from Florida and those other southern places.