Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

It Ain't Always What You Think It Is!
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
I started getting a vibration in the rear about a year ago.

So I balanced the tires. Still there, but it came and went, and was barely noticeable, so I lived with it.

It got worse, so I had the tires re-balanced. Still there.

Had the tires balanced again. Still there. A couple of months ago I noticed unsual wear on the right rears covering about 60° in the same place on both tires, and one wheel had about 3/16" lateral runout, so I replaced it and the tires and put in balance beads on all four rears. Still there.

The shocks were weak, so I replaced them. Still there

I had the left rears pulled, and noticed a small stone had imbedded into one of tire's the grooves and had severed at least one belt and damaged a second or third. Replaced the tires. Very little change.

Earlier this week, I replaced the water pump, because there was dripping from the weep hole; I was none too pleased, as the engine had <30K miles on it. Removing the fan to get to the pump, I saw notches in the blades where they had rubbed against the steel shroud. At rest, there's at least 5/8" clearance.

This could be caused only by bad motor mounts, so I checked them, and the left was toast, and the right, none too good.

I had the motor mounts replaced, and the problem seems cured; apparently driving at certain speeds started a sympathetic vibration in the engine, and it was bouncing.

I don't know if the problem's really fixed (I've thought that before), but it seems to be.

EDIT: I added link to a source for HD motor mounts in this thread.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Have you checked the ground wires on the tires? Ooops

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dang, NO! And that was the first thing you mentioned last week...Big Grin

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
posted Hide Post
Better check your muffler bearing while you are at it. Smiler

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
posted Hide Post
speaking of muffler bearings.........in the process of dismantling the 29 ft. '77 MC I came across a whole bunch of them and set them aside. Anyone who needs some can have them if they come and pick them up (they're too hard too ship) if I can find them again.

#1 29' 1977parted out and still alive in Barths all over the USA

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Dick, I would like to install dual exhaust with a couple of smitty's on the 3208 cat. Can you save me a couple of the muffler bearings and I will pick them up when we come to the DC GTG.

Thanks
Nick

P.S. I will need one left side counter clockwise rotating bearing and one right side clockwise rotating bearing.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
would they be Timken rollers in the thrust position?
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
still don't know where shower water goes? lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lenny and judy:
would they be Timken rollers in the thrust position?
lenny

I went to Muffler Bearing School at Boeing. They said use only TAPERED roller bearings in that application.

quote:
Nick: I would like to install dual exhaust with a couple of smitty's on the 3208 cat.

If you do that, be sure you back off the advance curve to prevent preignition.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
With dual exhausts, one is held on by standard threads, the other with left-hand threads, so you'll need a left-handed wrench.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
I made those also they came in handy when we sent to NAM
to fix the m16.
lenny

lenny and judy
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

posted Hide Post
Aww! tuff luck, Nick these were connected to dual cherry bombs attached to the '77 454 gasser. ....doesn't preignition on a diesel make you go backwards? and M14, M17 ...could never replace the M1 Garand. I have a combination box wrench, one end right hand the other left. I think Bonney used to forge them.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Floral City FL | Member Since: 04-25-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....PS shower water goes down the drain!

posted Hide Post
PSS. DUH!

posted Hide Post
I just checked the manual, these bearings are mutiwrenchinal, they only need a quarter turn either left or right, it said something about bayonettes and breach blocks but I didn't understand that. I tried to post the manual but my scanned ate the original. ............go figure! Oh! Oh! I have a drink for you.......beer drinkers:..... 1 part Yuengling Dark-Brewed Porter, 1 part Yuengling Premium Beer (Yuengling Original Black and Tan), 2 parts Yuengling Lager. Blend carefully in a very tall glass or mug or stein to avoid foaming over. Sip, drink or guzzle at temperatures over 43 degrees and under 50 degrees. reeefreshing! to recap 1 can half and half and 1 can lager. (or bottles) warning! no frosted glasses or any of that "ice cold beer" crap from Florida and those other southern places.