Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Wiring Diagram for 1985 Regal 454
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Wiring Diagram for 1985 Regal 454
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Does anyone have a wiring diagram that you could send me for my 1985 Regal, 454, P30 ? I've had possession for just over a week, and havent had a chance to order the CD from Dave. I've found the 12v exciter wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid shorted to ground. Can't find the short, so wondering if I can go ahead and bypass with a new wire, or is there a fusable link or other device between the ignition switch and the solenoid ?

Posts: 6 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Member Since: 02-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
The wiring you mention is Chevy P30 wiring, not Barth.

I would suggest buying a manual for your year light duty truck for the chassis wiring diagrams.

The start wire from the ignition switch goes through the neutral safety switch on the steering column to a Ford-type relay on a tubular support in the right side of the engine compartment, up high. I don't have a manual in front of me, but I don't think there is a fusable link.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bill, I visited several of the local parts houses yesterday looking for a P30 manual and couldnt locate one. Guess I'll try the Chevy dealer....I found the ford type relay ( a small can ) floppin around on the top of the intake, I've had my hands into the wiring today and of course the short has disappeared for now. Unfortunately there have been many hands into my Barth wiring thru the years, its a mess. If I cant find where the short is, I think I'm going to go ahead and run a new wire. Lots of cleanup in the days ahead.....I thought I had seen where someone had a P30 diagram in a pdf file, buy couldnt find the message....b

Posts: 6 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Member Since: 02-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Bob,

these people make it sound like if they don't have it, it was never printed...worth a look:

http://www.ahdol.com/#jump

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
I found the ford type relay ( a small can ) floppin around on the top of the intake

Hmmmm.........could be a fire hazard. Eeker Qjets have a soft plug in the bottom that can leak.

The light truck manual you want is probably not available from Chevrolet. It is a wealth of information. I got mine by searching the web for "automotive manuals".

Don't ya just hate wiring faults that come and go? Lacking a good find, a new wire is often the way to go. Sometimes we would do it in stages on airliners. One section tonight, the next section tomorrow night, etc. We just left a coil of wire where we had finished and started anew the next night.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<therealtigger>
posted
bibilios.com has all sorts of auto manuals - I found one for my 85 454 today.(but I think Dave's going to save me before it arrives:-})
If you can cure shorts be sticking your hands in and shaking would you please come by my place in
Pensacola I could really use a fix for my short.
Tigger

Reply With QuoteReport This Post