Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    furnaces
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

furnaces
 Login now/Join our community

posted
HELP.....REPOSTED 11/02/2016
I my 1984 Barth Regency furnaces will not fire...the fans come on but there is no heat....it worked fine last year...the water heater and range work so I am getting propane...any ideas....my problem continues..I located a furnace relay in the engine compartment (curbside) that is smoked and marked furn.. I cannot identify it..no numbers....HELP....I have SUBURBAN FURNACES

Posts: 7 | Location: Chesterfield,Va. | Member Since: 10-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Cycle the thermostat a couple of times - that should purge the air from the lines. Another problem could be obstructions in the burners - which are favored by mud daubers.

In any event, go outside and listen for the ignitor to make sparks. It's possible the control boards are bad, but unlikely both would fail.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
purge the air from the lines
Even though the furnace and the range are not on the same line, purging the system is important. Light all the burners on the range and the pilot also. Run the burners on high for a minute. Now try the furnace while the range is on. This has helped me in the past.
If not go back to Rusty's advice. Mud daubers like nice dry small areas like inside the furnace of your Barth. The clicking sound is audible from outside by the outside furnace door cover. The spark is easily noticed at night.

Good luck

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
great...thanks for the replys.....

Posts: 7 | Location: Chesterfield,Va. | Member Since: 10-15-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, now I have the same problem. I have three propane furnaces. Two have furnaces "Dinosaur" brand boards, and the third furnace has a "Fenwal" brand board. I was going to interchange the boards. I am not sure if the boards are interchangeable. The furnace having the trouble is the one with the Fenwal board. I decided not to try the interchange for now.

The circumstances leading up to this as follows. The blower was making a off balance sound. I turned down the thermostat. The blower shut off. I come to find a mouse had been shredded thru the blower. I suppose the squirrel cage was not traveling in Mr. mousse's favorite direction. I carefully removed the mouse fragments. I restarted the blower but do not get ignition or spark.
Does anyone remember the blower motor replacement topic by Nick Cagle? I am thinking that I just need to remove and clean the rest of the system. Maybe the rest of the mouse family is still residing in the furnace. The igniter is difficult to get to. I am sure the unit could use a good cleaning any way. I have searched propane furnace repair with several "keywords." I know there is a repair thread, but it has evaded my search strategy.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I believe the boards are interchangeable. If the connector plugs look the same they will be OK.

Good cleaning is first in any case. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin: Does anyone remember the blower motor replacement topic by Nick Cagle?

Some where in these threads..?

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...Type=1&search=Search

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Try here:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...513981757#8513981757

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5181 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks members, I could not find propane furnace repair to save my soul. The fourth picture of the sail switch on Nick's posting looks like what I am looking for. From what I gathered (after thinking about this) the sail switch is full of mouse guts. I did NOT remember where it was located, until I saw

this picture to refresh my memory. It is dark now but I will resume my repairs after thanking God for successful sinus surgery on Sunday morning.

Life is good

Cheers

By the way I did this repair as Nick suggested in his post back when I purchased my Barth. I did not replace the motors though. I just put felt washers with synthetic oil on the shafts and put the old motors back in. The furnaces were still working till the mouse family moved in.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Mike emailed me advice for these Atwood parts. If you have it apart the burners and ignitor may be junky.

Atwood 38548 Hydro Flame Furnace Burner Electrode Kit for $15 from eBay.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

posted Hide Post
Thank you Mike and Steve VW for the heads up on eBay. I did a google search and got to the eBay items you just showed on here. Of course, my burner is dated 1989. It looks to be in good shape. I will run it thru the walnut blasting cabinet, then make a decision. The Fenwal and Dinosaur circuit boards are also available on eBay. I won't be posting any pictures of the mouse guts. Some members here may have a weak stomach.

posted Hide Post
I evicted the residents in my propane furnace, The furnace sail switch was straightened out from this.

It now looks more like the posting from Nick earlier in this topic.
Nick always has a case of might as well. So I figured it would be good to clean the burner assembly. The family might have left some combustibles behind.

I walnut blasted the above burner since Steve suggested checking the burner. I vacuumed out the flue and surrounding areas. Assembled the burner.

After checking for gas leaks, I turned up the thermostat. The gas valve opened and the clicking of the igniter was under way with an instant blast of heat. I still was not done with the contagious might as well fix the plastic door.
I went in to the shop and cut up an inner tube to make a hinge for the broken plastic hinge on the plastic door.
Does any one think the long rubber hinge will last as long as the original plastic hinges? I used oversize rivets to hold the inner tube rubber hinge to the coach and door.