Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gas tank replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gas tank replacement
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I have a 1976 Barth 24' motorhome with a leak/hole in the gas tank. It has a chevy 454 engine and is a 1 ton frame. Has anyone removed/repalced the gas tank in one of these motorhomes. Any tips on how to do it would be appreciated.

Posts: 5 | Location: Vancouver Island Canada | Member Since: 09-21-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I think Duane88 dropped the gas tank when the football team got a new coach. There are 17 pages, but I do remember him posting about
dropping the gas tank.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/22
Picture of Ian and Lynnette
posted Hide Post
You probably already did this, but make sure it is the tank leaking, and not the filler tube hose. I replaced the petrified and cracked rubber elbow on our rig last year.

Posts: 141 | Location: Nanton, Alberta, Canada | Member Since: 02-27-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BarthBluesmobile
posted Hide Post
I agree with Ian and Lynnette, make sure you don't have a leak from the filler path. I have replaced that twice.

To drop the tank, first put a big piece of plywood or heavy cardboard under the tank, it makes it easier to drag out eventually. First undo the hose clamp holding the filler hose in place.

Use cargo straps to the frame rails to take the weight of the tank, once you remove the mounting bolts. It is also handy to have a several 2x4s cut in to 1 foot lengths that you can use to gradually lower or raise the tank on also. If your tank is anything but empty, it is a heavy job.

As the tank starts coming down, check if the electrical connections or the hose connections start holding up progress, and undo them when you can get access.

Matt

1987 Barth 27' P32 Chassis
Former State Police Command Post
Chevrolet 454
Weiand Manifold, Crane Cam, Gibson Exhaust

Posts: 524 | Location: Massachusetts | Member Since: 07-28-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BarthBluesmobile:
To drop the tank, first put a big piece of plywood or heavy cardboard under the tank, it makes it easier to drag out eventually. Matt

Thumbs Up Cool little trick Matt Salute

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The 25 footer I just sold has a single 60 gal fuel tank, Nose also a 25 footer has two tanks a 30 and 40 gal. I dropped the 60 gal tank, when I did I put a funiture dolly under it, rolled out easy, big tank too! My biggest problem was the levelers blocking the straps. had a tough time removing them. A floor jack and wood blocks worked great for me to lower and raise the tank.

Removing the 40 gallon tank, it is in the center rear and probably would not be too hard to drop, but the 30 gallon is on the passenger side and would be a more difficult job. This tank was installed by Barth, and the filler neck did spring a leak. They used a radiator hose, not a hose made for 10% alcohol and it just disintegrated. It did last a lot of years, when I got nose that tank had not been used for a long time, no cap and really a mess, should have dropped and cleaned it, have been fighting the corrosion in it ever since.

The real person you should talk to is Tere, she dropped her tank, similar to the one I dropped.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post