Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Sad demise of '75 Barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Sad demise of '75 Barth
 Login now/Join our community

posted
After replacing nearly every suspension component and numerous other parts on my new to me Barth, the oil drain plug dropped out of the pan and the engine with 58k miles on it that I had running like a top seized up on the highway - five hours from home with my wife, a four-year-old and Ten-Month old twins inside.

I am on my way to get a U-Haul to throw verything in to. The tow-truck driver offered to not charge me for the tow if I let him have the Barth and I think I will have to take him up on that as it would be a $1600 tow to get it home.

I wish I got to enjoy it longer instead of sinking two-weeks of full time labour into it and around three-thousand dollars.

I'll probably have twenty minutes to pull off components before I need to leave with the family so aside from the dampers that are easy to get at what would you pull off?

Posts: 28 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Member Since: 08-04-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles . That's a tough break.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
OMG what a rotten trip... head bang

OTOH maybe you have a hod rod 454HO Barth in your future? hmm

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...1087061/m/6693923287

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain ! I’m Very sorry for your loss.
My hearts with you it bites when you put your heart in and love one of these beautiful machines and poof something goes wrong. Sorry you and your family went through it. Good luck with all else. ✌️

Posts: 38 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 03-21-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear about your loss. You were an inspiration to us, with your resurrection of the ole girl!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
What a shame. Frowner
If you didn't have so much bad luck, you'd have no luck at all Roll Eyes

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
You probably had the fastest refurb we have seen and I was reluctant to say anything. I hope you didn't actually have to give to the tow driver.

What I was reluctant to say but is helpful to those looking is Roadside protection like Coachnet or Good Sams. I have used twice. Once DBarth and once my pickup when I blew a tire at 20 below and then blew the danged spare within 200 yards. Both were loaded and taken to a place where I could get repaired. They checked on us until we were safe and taken care of. Coachnet

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the commiserations folks. Please find my new post regarding another prospect.

-Timothy

Posts: 28 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Member Since: 08-04-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post