Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Power steering pump
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Power steering pump
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Kelshe
posted
Hi all,

We have a leak in our power steering pump of our 89 Regency Cat 3208T. The mechanics were recommending a new pump but they can't find one that has the correct shaft. Danfoss made the original but they are no longer in business.The mechanic has located a place in Tennessee that could rebuild it but they need to find the shaft. Does anyone know where we can get a replacement or a place on the West coast that could rebuild it. We are planning on leaving at the end of the month and the turn around on rebuilding ours, if they can get the shaft, will be 15 plus days.

Thanks Sheila and Kelly

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures om my power steering pump. I have a Regency with a 3208 300 HP TA Caterpillar. The pump is a Webster.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin.
Can you clarify the ID number beginning with either "35 or 55".
Also is your pump shaft for a dual pulley and is the shaft cross section round or another shape?
Last, is Webster still around and, if so, where?

Kelly

Posts: 77 | Location: Auburn, CA | Member Since: 11-05-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
E-bay has several Danfoss pumps. Don't know if any will work for you.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin and Doorman,

We have found the Webster on a place in Illinois that specializes in hard to find parts.

Doorman we did check the parts on ebay and unfortunately they are not the number. Thank you for your response.

Sheila and Kelly

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelshe:
Thanks Kevin.
Can you clarify the ID number beginning with either "35 or 55".
Also is your pump shaft for a dual pulley and is the shaft cross section round or another shape?
Last, is Webster still around and, if so, where?

Kelly

I do not recall the part numbers. Using the zoom on my iPad the number is 55-15711-4. I do not recall the pump shaft for sure. The picture appears to be a Taper-Lock. It is one pulley with two grooves to be used with two individual belts. The rebuild it kit was special O-rings from Gillig. The pumps on the 250 HP and the 300 HP are different. I purchased the internal bushings very reasonable, about $6.00 each. I can post the pictures of the bushings also.
Be sure to change the power steering fluid and filter for this repair.
The shaft may be available from Gillig also. Direct from Webster or Webster supplier would eliminate another markup.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Apparently Gillig no longer has this part and all other shops contacted do not work on this shaft. So, the part is being sent to Tennessee to be rebuilt. The shop there has a commitment on obtaining the shaft and will rebuild the pump. It is frustrating since no one knows if the shaft is even the problem.

Thanks for your help.

Sheila

posted Hide Post
I cannot believe the shaft is the problem. Here is one internal picture. A simple gear pump should only need new bushings and a shaft seal. Someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin, I will take that up with the mechanic.

Kelly

posted Hide Post
Here is the rebuild kit from Gillig

posted Hide Post
Kelly, When I checked your profile it says you have the 250 HP Caterpillar 3208. If what I see is correct the power steering pump kit I posted may be incorrect. Mine kit is for a Cat 3208 TA. From what I was told the power steering pumps may be different. The rebuild kits were available on eBay also for the 250 HP.

posted Hide Post
You might also try calling the information in posting on eBay.

Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Wanted to let everyone know the outcome of the power steering pump issue. We had been told by Gillig that the pumps were Danfoss, it was a Webster, the pump removed from our coach was part #WE 44972-29. The old pump was sent to Flint Hydraulics in Memphis, TN. Flint said our pump was too old to rebuild and they sent a new pump. We did get the coach back yesterday which was really quick turn around. We were given the old pump back and there was a tag in the box of the new pump which read: WE-PWE 29192, WE-145300. Flint Hydraulics phone number is (901) 794-4884.This information might help someone else in the future.

Unfortunately, we had cancelled all our reservations for our trip to the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival. We are going to take some smaller trips closer to home to see how the Barth does before heading across the country. Hopefully, this will be the last repair for awhile our tolerance is running thin for all the mechanical problems we have had, not to mention the cost.

Thanks for all the help.
Sheila

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kelshe:
Wanted to let everyone know the outcome of the power steering pump issue. We had been told by Gillig that the pumps were Danfoss, it was a Webster, the pump removed from our coach was part #WE 44972-29. The old pump was sent to Flint Hydraulics in Memphis, TN. Flint said our pump was too old to rebuild and they sent a new pump. We did get the coach back yesterday which was really quick turn around. We were given the old pump back and there was a tag in the box of the new pump which read: WE-PWE 29192, WE-145300. Flint Hydraulics phone number is (901) 794-4884.This information might help someone else in the future.

Unfortunately, we had cancelled all our reservations for our trip to the Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Festival. We are going to take some smaller trips closer to home to see how the Barth does before heading across the country. Hopefully, this will be the last repair for awhile our tolerance is running thin for all the mechanical problems we have had, not to mention the cost.

Thanks for all the help.
Sheila

Thanks for posting the follow up. Do you have the Caterpillar 3208 250 HP engine in your Barth? I ask since you have a different power steering pump than mine. Please do mention the cost. Would you care to share how much the new pump cost? I am also curious how much it was to install the pump if you care to share.
Please don't discard the old pump. Why was I able to get a pump kit from Gillig? Flint Hydraulics told you it was "Too old to rebuild" puzzles me?
Sorry you had to cancel your trip.

Picture of Kelshe
posted Hide Post
Hi Kevin,

Yes we have a cat 3208T, rated at 250 hp.

When I called Gillig and provided my last 5 of the VIN, I was told I had a Danfoss pump. They didn't have the pump or any rebuild kits. If I had known it was a Webster things might be different.

My shop (at my direction) sent the old pump to Flint Hydraulics via overnight for rebuild. Flint sent back another Webster and my old pump telling the shop they could not use it for "core" purposes as it was beyond rebuild specs.

The new Webster is either new old stock, oem, or rebuild-- not sure what. Either way it works and it is in and we are moving on.

Overnight freight both ways was $270. Labor at $129/hr was $645. Pump was $930.

Overall, these repairs are expensive especially when owners like me do not have experience, time, and space to undertake the work. You also depend on shop owners and their staff to do the right thing-- although not always the cheapest. They knew I was hoping to get going on our trip.

So, more or less it is just another example of the rarity of the Barth and general lack of database for systems.

I did keep the old pump to join about another half dozen "spares" of replaced items. Smiler)

Kelly