Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Monarch metal dent fix
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Monarch metal dent fix
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
It's been really slow here on the site lately, but I have been busy with the coach work! Mechanic

On my way home from Florida this spring I stopped at a park in Kentucky. The site was narrow, angled, and dark. For the first time in 11 years and 75,000 miles I managed to hit an invisible doppelganger tree (that's my story) as I backed in. confusion

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Another angle:

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When I got home I set up a scaffold, drilled out the old rivets, and installed a temporary tin patch

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Quick fix for now

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The dent repair provoked several related projects. I have been wanting to insulate the bedroom walls and install a rear window for some time. Also the ladder was in bad shape and was pulling loose from the coach.

In the process of exposing the rear wall I was able to cut out the bent ribs, straighten the wall, and install wooden sisters to brace the wall. At the same time, I installed a window and foam insulation.

see here: https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...993991797#9993991797

I removed the bent belt line trim and got it straight. I have a good telescoping ladder so I will not miss the rear ladder.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I had some stainless steel that was salvaged from a commercial kitchen. I decided to cut my final patch from that.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I got the patch fitted in place. Stainless screws top and bottom rows and Cleco clamps on the curved sides.

I will remove it to caulk all the seam areas, then reinstall with screws and blind rivets.

I straightened the belt line trim with a rubber mallet and reattached with screws.

Once I finish the interior I will install the window permanently.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
that is looking very nice. you are so lucky that you didn't dent the corner.
kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Considering the wall was pushed in, it turned out well. As you well know, you can stretch metal but you can't shrink it. After I straightened the wall, there are still a few small wrinkles but I can live with them. The lower edge of the patch still has a bit of ripple but I will shim it level from behind for final install.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I removed the patch and caulked all seams. Reassembled final time with screws and rivets. Ready to prime and paint!

A few more things inside and I will do the final install on the window.