Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1978 22 footer
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1978 22 footer
 Login now/Join our community

posted
I am just about through restoring my 22' and have a few questions.

1.When I installed new toliet it now sets out from the wall to far. Old unit set back about 6". What can I do besides new hole in floor?
2.Where can I get new outside rubber around windows? It seems too have shrunk.
3.Also on the windows, the drains have broken off and when you wash motor home, water will fill up in the track and run into coach. Also the plastic guide in the window track is bad on all windows. Where can I find these parts?

Thanks, Mike

Posts: 4 | Location: Pike Rd Alabama | Member Since: 10-28-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Honaker:

1.When I installed new toliet it now sets out from the wall to far. Old unit set back about 6". What can I do besides new hole in floor?
Thanks, Mike

Camping world and others sell a "base" for toilets to sit on; base is about 2"-3" high, of white plastic, and may allow you to transition to the existing drain with an offset. If not, and you make a new hole, this base probably will cover the existing hole. You may have to get a different brand toilet which fits the existing hole, of course. You have checked to see if a new floor hole will allow you to drop into the tank?
2.Where can I get new outside rubber around windows? It seems too have shrunk.
Try this: pull rubber surrounds all the way off the window. Soak the OUTSIDE of the rubber liberally with Armorall (the inside must remain ArmorAll free so adhesive will stick) and tug to "lengthen" them. Use 3M spray adhesive in window well after cleaning gunk out and press rubber back into place.
Voila!! PS: don't worry if it is still a little short - make the bottom the correct length by starting there.
Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Gunner (edited January 02, 2005).]

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gunner you are another prime example why i love this site...the ideas people come up with!! was that your original idea or did you learn it from someone else?

Posts: 16 | Location: alto pass il usa | Member Since: 12-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"gunner you are another prime example why i love this site...the ideas people come up with!! was that your original idea or did you learn it from someone else?"

If this is sarcasm, it's too subtle for me. If not: my window "rubber" came loose and I fixed it as above. I bought a new toilet; the holes lined up but I wanted it higher so I purchased and installed the base. My experience has been that most "certified RV repairmen" are uncaring and overpaid; I don't want them working on my rig unless it's absolutely necessary.
On upgrading your 22': I bet you do a better job than a "professional".

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike, just to put an idea in your head, Montgomery to Talledaga is a real pretty trip, especially with a side trip to Wind Creek State park on Lake Martin. We'll miss the spring race but we'll be at the fall race for sure, with a "calm before the storm" stop at Wind Creek. Good luck with the coach, the more you use it the more you'll love it!

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
gunner...just honestly saying thanks for the tip!! not being mean in any way!!

Posts: 16 | Location: alto pass il usa | Member Since: 12-15-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Roy, I understood totally. I have those rubber edges coming loose on the corners also. I was thinking about trying to restretch them on a really hot day. But here in Minnesota it's also really humid when it's hot so I doubt if anything would stick other than that 3M adhesive. That stuff is fast and hard.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
"If this is sarcasm, it's too subtle for me."

Sorry, guys - guess I'm in my cynical mode. It IS NICE to have this forum - my thanks to Dave.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gunner:
[QUOTE]2.Where can I get new outside rubber around windows? It seems too have shrunk.
Try this: pull rubber surrounds all the way off the window. Soak the OUTSIDE of the rubber liberally with Armorall (the inside must remain ArmorAll free so adhesive will stick) and tug to "lengthen" them. Use 3M spray adhesive in window well after cleaning gunk out and press rubber back into place.
Voila!! PS: don't worry if it is still a little short - make the bottom the correct length by starting there.
Good luck.

Update on this. Gunner sold to Morris and Morris sold to me. I noticed I was missing a couple and am in the process of finding replacement. 2 of them just fell out sitting at home so I will be treating them and reglueing. Not saying anything was done wrong just saying it had an expiration of adhesion. I will research treatments and adhesives before redoing and installing replacements. 13 years of weather since he reglued on top of the 8 years before that.

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post