Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Block heater for Detroit Diesel 8.2
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Block heater for Detroit Diesel 8.2
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted
Hello all,

I purchased a block heater for my Detroit Diesel 8.2 last week and went to install it today. After draining all of the coolant out of the system and pulling the block drain plug out, I discovered that the 6 inch element on the heater won't fit in the 1 inch deep hole that the block plug came out of.

Has anyone installed a block heater in their Detroit 8.2?

Was the block drain on the right (passenger) side of the engine towards the rear?

How long was the element on the heater?

There's another drain, but it's only a 3/8's hole just above the starter motor on the driver side of the engine. There's no way the wires from the heater wouldn't get pinched on the starter.

Right now I'm thinking that there is no such thing as a block heater for a Detroit 8.2, I sure hope I'm wrong.

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

Sincerely,

Bob Kopicki
Massillon OH

Posts: 21 | Location: Massillon, Ohio | Member Since: 07-10-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
http://autocoolingsolutions.co...el-Engine-Heater-NEW

http://autocoolingsolutions.co...rsion_Screw_In_H.pdf

3500043 — Engine Block Heater - Detroit & IH
Engine block heater for Detroit 8.2L and IH T444E.
Replaces right front 3/4" NPT plug on Detroit.
Replaces 3/4" NPT plug in oil cooler on IH.
750 Watts of heat output.
This price is for internet orders only.

Check Availability

$46.95 BUY

click here to view larger image

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted Hide Post
Mogan, very kind of you to pass along those links. That is the one I purchased and those are the instructions that came with it. I don't have a 3/4" plug on the right FRONT as stated in the ad, mine is toward the rear.

My questions were:

Has anyone installed a block heater in their Detroit 8.2?

Was the block drain on the right (passenger) side of the engine towards the rear?

How long was the element on the heater?

Posts: 21 | Location: Massillon, Ohio | Member Since: 07-10-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
The information I saw (and posted) said right FRONT, not right REAR.
Is your engine Bass Ackwards? That is, turned around and behind the drive axle.
If so, it goes in the left (driver's side) rear or your block.

Evidently, there IS such a thing as a (correct) block coolant heater for the DD 8.2.

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted Hide Post
I really don't post threads on this forum so I can get in a war of words with other owners. As I stated in the original post, I already purchased a block heater for a DD 8.2 (the exact one linked by Mogan) and didn't ask where I could buy one. I'm just looking for someone who wouldn't mind sharing their experience installing one....if they have any to share.

As far as I can tell there is only one unused 3/4" cooling port on my block. On the right rear. Maybe I'm missing something on the right front of my engine but there is a big oil cooler with 2 oil filters there and I can't see anything but fuse plugs on the block above the cooler. That's why I asked for someone who had INSTALLED a block heater so perhaps they could tell me how to find the port.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
This isn't a Newell site, so few members are familiar with your model and its drive train.

Is yours a front engine puller, or a pusher? Knowing that will clarify sides and ends that are referred to.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I left it here because it's not brand-specific, and there are a few Barths with that engine - so it's relevant to some Barthers.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob Kopicki
posted Hide Post
Group, no disrespect, however,

The Detroit 8.2 does not care if it's installed in a Barth, a Newell or a dump truck. If you look at the Detroit 8.2 service manual it does not differentiate between applications. My service manual is for the year of my engine (1980) so I am not aware if a change was made to the location of the block drain in later models since one change I am aware of was to the head bolts of later engines. The service manual does have a page where it points to where the block drain is but the area is blocked by the head.....a very poor picture to say the least.

What would be the right side or left side of an engine if it were mounted transversely? My service manual and most other documents consider the front of an engine the side opposite the output shaft (reciprocating aircraft engines being one exception). As I stated in earlier posts, I can't find a drain on the right side by the oil filters. I'd be really surprised if there was an 8.2 out there with oil filters somewhere else since the oil cooler is cast into the block and the filters are mounted to the oil cooler.

So for the bottom line I would suggest that there are painfully few differences in drivetrain between MY Newell and your Barths. Since I would like the opinion of Barth owners and there appear to be more Barth owners still operating the Detroit 8.2 than any other brand that I know of, I asked the question in the Barth Tech forum.

Now that that's cleared up, anybody out there ever installed a block heater in a Detroit 8.2??

posted Hide Post
Hi Bob did you ever figure this out? I am at the same exact road block.
Please help. Its getting cold here!
Craig
508-612-2463

Posts: 1 | Location: Hopkinton MA  | Member Since: 12-04-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
You might try boat forums since many 8.2 were also installed in boats. I have used and have on hand a magnetic heater. I think it is 100 watts generally it is attached to the oil pan. It worked well with a 190D Mercedes and I suppose it could have been put on the fuel injection pump as easily. My experience was with the Merc in a garage, cough cough.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
ask these guys---

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-...s-repuestos-8-2.html

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post