Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Clogged drain
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Clogged drain
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
When I had to replace the holding tank a few years ago there was no amount of weasel piss in the world that was going to loosen the nuts. It was all about cutting and replacing all fasteners. If you don't know how to do this you will soon learn.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3480 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Z:
When I had to replace the holding tank a few years ago there was no amount of weasel piss in the world that was going to loosen the nuts. It was all about cutting and replacing all fasteners. If you don't know how to do this you will soon learn.

Nuts that won't turn can also respond to other measures.

1. UsE a Nut Cracker. I have a real oldie but goodie from Stahwille that has worked well for years and years. They are also called nut splitters. Quality counts in a tool like this, so buy USA or German.

2. Use a cutting wheel in a die grinder or a Dremel to cut slots in the nut 180 degrees apart. Do not cut quite to the threads. Use a large screwdriver to split one of the slots, and the nut should spread and come off. The threads on the rod can be chased with a die if necessary.

3. Heat the nut cherry red and then hold ice cubes against the threaded rod. As soon as the red goes away, try to turn the nut while holding the threaded rod with a vice Grip. Another variation is to squirt PB on a heated nut.

4. A cutting torch with a small tip and a deft hand can burn away most of the nut without damaging the threaded rod.

If your threaded hanger rods are not easily replaced, the above might be the way to go. If they are easy to get to and remove, replacement could be a better way. Either way, use brass nuts.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Danny and Bill.
Hopefully I will not encounter the complication of frozen bolts as it has not been too long of a time since I had dropped the grey water tank to patch some holes.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post