Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Clogged drain
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Clogged drain
 Login now/Join our community

posted
This is probably more of a general plumbing issue but, I have a very slow sink draining. The clog is not in the trap, but somewhere between the trap and the grey water holding tank-closer to the tank. I have used a snake, plunger, and various solutions but still can't manage to clear the pipe. The shower drains fine and the holding tank is not clogged.
I'm perplexed!
Thanks.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
Do you only have one waste tank? Is the sink draining into the same tank as the show(er)? Does it drain fine for the first 20 seconds? Does the snake make it to the tanks?

Have you actually hit a blockage with the snake? If not, you might have a clogged roof vent. If air can not escape, as fluid or waste is going into the tank, it will act like a blocked drain and drain out slowly.

I've seen some cases where on a longer drain run the vent is "Tee'd" into the drainage line.

Remove the vent caps off of the roof and use the snake in there. The vent could have gotten blocked when the tank was full of waste.

Keep in mind, because of age and UV degradation, the vent caps might break when you are removing them.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Which sink? Is the rig level? If Kitchen sink and not level, you may be asking water to run uphill.

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The lines from the kitchen and bathroom sinks join together and then have a short flat run to the tank in my bus. I have had them plug up about once a year or so. (we fulltime so they get a lot of use.) I have used Liquid Plumber, Draino, etc. and 2 different snakes with no luck. It turns out it is never the traps. Just a foot or so before the pipe enters the tank is has a flex pipe used to make a slight bend to solve a clearance issue. It also has a slight dip in the line right there. These combine so that soap residue builds up over a period of time and forms a waxy substance that blocks the line. I have to take the pipes apart there and clean them out. I just did this again last week. Frowner This time after cleaning i decided to experiment and sprayed the insides with silicon to see if it slows or stops the buildup. And no,....the way it is set up i can not change the plumbing at this time. If/when i ever need to replace the tank then i can do something a little different that may cure that problem.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a foot or so before the pipe enters the tank is has a flex pipe used to make a slight bend to solve a clearance issue.

Flex pipes are nasty. The ridges will catch everything. Perhaps there is room to put a secondary catch trap in line to settle the solids and waxy stuff prior to hitting the flex pipe. These used to be used a lot in galvanized sewer pipes for the same reason I presume.

Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope, no room to put in another trap anywhere. If i ever have to replace the tank i can do it a little differently and do away with the need for the flex pipe.

Posts: 878 | Location: Left side, top to bottom and back again. :>) | Member Since: 09-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
You can also use a rigid plastic pipe. With a heat gun or good hair dryer insert the pipe at the shortest point of connection between the curve. Then heat the pipe and form it or bend to mate to the other pipe. Allow to cool, remove and then use appropriate cement to complete. The pipe can be bent and squashed to get around any conflict points.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shadow man,

Have you tried pouring lots of boiling water down the sink?

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
You can always put some baking soda followed by vinegar down your drain. Works sometimes instead of Drano. Good entertainment anyway. Wink

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the suggestions everyone.
There are actually two tanks: a grey water and blackwater. The shower and sink drain into the grey and the bathroom sink and the toilet drain into the black. Bill, I did try to snake out the roof vent but there was no obstruction that I could tell. The snake is about 15 feet and it went down all the way.
Noble97monarch the coach is level thanks.

Shadow Man when you took your pipes part, how did you get to them?
Did you drop the grey water tank to access them?
Perhaps if I were to drop the grey water and run the snake in from that end?
Sounds like this flex pipe could be the issue.
I have run the snake from the vent under the sink and the snake seems to go all the way and stop against a pipe or something firm.
I'll also try the baking soda, vinegar, and more hot water than I have used.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

Posts: 140 | Location: Los Angeles, California | Member Since: 09-03-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jack, i have an SOB, a MCI bus. I have only one tank for black/gray and i can access my pipes easily because they are in one of the bays. Sorry but i know this is of no help to you. Hot water doesn't do anything to this no matter how much you use.....by the time i know i have a problem it is too late, the pipe is plugged and will not drain.

posted Hide Post
While I agree with Shadow man that hot water won't help with a kitchen sink that is totally clogged, boiling water will help with a kitchen sink clog that is only partially blocked and has some flow. This is because the clog is made up of fats that have congealed as they cooled on the way to the tank.

If you poured a teakettle worth of "boiling " water down your sink occasionally, you may stave off another clog. This solution would not work with a bathroom sink clog as they are almost always due to hair, which won't dissolve in hot water.

20 years of owning apartment houses, I've seen and fixed every kind of clog you can imagine!

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
It has been a long time, but I used Pure Power black tank enzyme to clear a clogged toilet chute on a trailer that did not have a straight-down chute. It took a day or two.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for getting back Shadow man, Nobel97, and Bill H. I will try the hot water, as well as some of the other remedies here before I drop the grey water tank.

Jack Brand
1988 31 ft Barth Regal
Ford 460
John Deere Chassis

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brandman:
I will try the hot water, as well as some of the other remedies here before I drop the grey water tank.

Just in case, get some PB Blaster and shoot the mounting hardware. Before you start the tank drop, be sure the hardware is free to turn so you know what you are getting in to. I squirt my grey, black and gas tank mount hardware once or twice a year, just in case.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post