Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1982 25ft Glassnose, 454 radiator
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1982 25ft Glassnose, 454 radiator
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, I will try to get some pics of how mine is installed also. Geez I hate P30 engineers.. lol

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve the flow through the core looks to be same direction as yours. they may have just flipped the rad.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Wow completely different mounting systems! It does look like the rad may be the same, though.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, it is about an 8 hour drive to you from me. 6 hours from Chicago, my kids live there so I may combine the trip.

I wonder if I should pull my rad and see if it is reparable first. However I bet yours would be a better unit after repairs. Oh the decisions. lol

My current unit, heats up the harder I run the engine, exit fluid is about 110 C at 55mph and close to 120 C at 65mph. Funny the factory gage on the block, at 55 is centered and at 65 is just a bit towards the high side. I added electric fans but I run them off the transmission cooling coil temperature. Guess I might have to change that to the rad.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I just noticed another possible problem, your cooling fluid entrance is on the opposite side of mine. I don't think that would be a problem, I would have to change hoses. I assume the exit is opposite too I have not checked mine.

I could just order the rad you got from summit, but the cap would pointed to the side and I could not completely fill the system, not sure that would be a problem.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
We should look further. We are planning a run to Elkhart, Ind soon to look at Flexsteel seats. We could meet you there maybe. Welcome here but a long way!

I will get some better pictures, maybe stand on end like yours and compare.

Our schedule is flexible.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5156 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, a 4 hour run is a lot better than an 8. Besides I would like to look at new seats also, not buying though!!

I am retired so I am also flexible time wise, not so much in the bones anymore..

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Rock auto has a plastic and aluminum design very similar to your new unit, $130 with shipping. I wonder if it would hold up in the high heat of Glassnose.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I will take more pics of the rad tomorrow. If you can use it we can get it to you I'm sure. Thumbs Up

Besides I missed you at Barthtober. I make it my business to meet Barth folks when ever I can. cheers

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
here are a couple of pics, BillNY, Kevin, PB is driving me nuts I will delete these pics shortly.
The coil tops you see are my external transmission cooler.

Do not let Photobucket get that engineering mind off track.

Please Send your photos to:

barth_upload.61972@uploads.photobucket.com

from an ordinary email and put "2792" in the subject line exactly as you see it without the quotes.

Do not add anything the email letter body. Send no more than 5 photos.

Call Kevin for a personal tutor.

By the way I forwarded a picture of your rig during the little campfire we had in Spring Valley. Please try to link it to here.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Geeeeez, The Blankety thing has not leaked a drop in almost 2 days, It sure loves to drive me nuts!!

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I stood the rad up on end like it would be in your coach.

Front has fill neck on driver side 1 1/4"

Back side has on top: 3/4" heater return barb, oil cooler ports, 1 1/2" hose barb

on bottom: 1 1/4" hose barb, 1/2 plug, ATF cooler ports, drain valve

The lower corner by the drain valve is where the leak was. I was not using either cooler. I fugured the rad had enough to do to keep the engine cool, let alone the trans and oil. I have separate coolers on my coach.

The hose barbs may be an issue. Mine had the 1 1/2 hose to the pump on lower right side, with the 1 1/4 hose to the manifold on the left. By rotating they may be the wrong size and on the wrong side?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve, yes the inlet and outlet are opposite on my coach, however I am not sure that is an issue. I can just get new hoses. I have an external transmission cooler also, however the rad coil is also used.

My rad has not leaked in 3 days now, geez what a mystery.

Thank you for the pictures, I think it is worth a try, unless another Barth Guy or Gal has a greater need.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Looks like we will be heading for Elkart week of Nov 6th. If you are interested we can meet somewhere mid day for the swap. I will get in touch with you before then. I will see if Lou in Allegan wants my tires and get another side trip in to drop them off.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
My rad has not leaked in 3 days now, geez what a mystery.

I sure hope it is not empty. I friend told his truck manual transmission stopped leaking. There was nothing else to leak out just before the gears seized up. Hopefully no one ever put radiator sealer in it. Radiator sealer will cause intermittent leaking. No mystery at all, just trouble.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post