Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Digital reminder
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
If you plan to keep your analog TV's in the Barth, you'll need to get a digital converter before Feb of 2009. The govt. has a $40 rebate for these boxes (up to two boxes).

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
Already done ours but if any of you have a DirecTV or Dish Network HD Satellite receiver with an antenna input it will have the ATSC tuner already built in. Just do a digital channel search. Your exisitning Off-Air Antenna on your coach will work just fine to receive digital channels because they are all broadcast on the UHF Frequency spectrum.
Billy T

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.
Powered by Cummins ISL9-450
Onan 8,000 Quiet Diesel Genset
Toad: 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Diesel with M&G Car Brake

Posts: 374 | Location: 1mile north of I-10 Exit 92, Duson, LA USA in The Heart of CAJUN COUNRTY ! ! ! | Member Since: 05-14-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
One question I've been meaning to ask. Can I use one box for both TVs? If so, do they have to be on the same channel? I have a splitter at the booster box for the batwing in the overhead kitchen cabinet, and run the 13 inside and the 19 in the screenroom.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Yes you may run more then one TV off one converter box but they will all show the same channel selected and all TVs must be on the same channel (3-4) to receive the information from the box. Most boxes have video and audio output as well so you could bypass the tuner of your TVs but again, it would only output one channel as selected.

I have two boxes and use the splitter/booster to feed two boxes, one inf front and one in the bedroom.

Eventually, I will get new LCD TVs for both front and bedroom and that will take care of the issue.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, now I know I'll get the coupon,[coop'n to our Canadien friends Smiler] and a converter box. Like you, I'll probably go with new TV's in the future, but it's not that big a deal right now, so for 20 bucks or so we'll stay as is.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I installed the box and it actually improved reception as well as the picture.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
One more stupid question. Does the converter box install before or after the booster for the bat-wing? My booster is the splitter for front and back TV's and it's located in the overhead cabinet to the right of the sink.

79 Barth Classic

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
TV > Convertor > booster

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The booster should be before the converter, (between the antenna and the converter) the converter should connect directly to the TV(s)

I tie the cable from the booster to the converter and then tee off to the front and back TVs.

You will find the signal level is very important to receive the digital TV, much more so then the convention analog TV. Where the analog TV gets snowy and a grainy picture with low signal level, with the digital box if the signal level in not high enough, the picture will freeze, the audio will blank, very disconcerting.

When it works it is very good, but when on the fringe, not so good.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post