Reply To This Topic

Wheel covers
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
That's next, but I'm not in a position to drop 70 bucks right now. Red Face
Lennie was right, I checked with a caliper and the old ones are 80 and the new ones are 90. Not enough to be able to see but plenty to make them bind up. I'll go to Fastenal tomorrow and get the right ones, or if I can't I'll find a 10-24 tap and chase the holes out. At least the mystery is solved.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Flexible valve extensions are leak-prone.

Best is a metal stem of the proper length and curvature.

Next best is a tubular brass extension from Patch Boy or Gempler's, held on with blue Loctite. CW sells some curved metal extensions that are OK if put on with Loctite. Be careful, though, as standard valve caps might not fit them.

Next best is stick with the short stock stems and use an airing extension and long gauge or just screw an extension on to service or check air. A hexagonal valve cap is easy to remove and replace with a nut driver. One extension and a driver does it.

If you have rubber valve stems, do you know their age and type? There are two different types of rubber stems. One is rated for high pressure and one is not. The HP one has a 90-degree shoulder inside, and the unstated pressure one has a rounded shoulder.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
I second El Segundo bill's motion, re: leak-prone flex extensions. Been there, done that.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Tha tires were put on by the local experts in RV and truck tires and I was told everything needing replacement was done. Of course that was 5 years ago but I've never experienced any loss of pressure in any of the tires. I think I'll just stick with what I have and use the trucker gauge that I've always used. Even with the new covers all the valves are accessible.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Karen>
posted
Hey,

That's good.Which tires you are using?

You mentioned about covers, May I know which 5th wheel cover you are using?

Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post