Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED lighting conversion
 Login now/Join our community

posted Hide Post
Good morning, Kevin;

I am also in the process of converting my inside coach lighting to the new LED lighting. I am not sure that my completed job will look at all like what is in your photograph. The outside lighting will be later.

The things that people have heard about the LED lighting conversion are probably true. I can say that when we converted our traffic signals to LED lighted displays, we also literally cut our intersection electrical power consumption by 90%, or to say it in another way, we dropped our electrical power consumption down to 10% of what it had been with the older 1950 Lumen or 165 Watt incandescent light bulbs in the larger 12 inch diameter traffic signals. While the LED conversion inserts were expensive, it really does turn out that we will save enough to pay for them. And now it really is practical to have a battery back-up for an intersection so that we can have the more important intersections continue to run for a few hours, which might get us through many power outages.

My own justification for the conversion is to drop the load on the motor home coach batteries. With the LED lighting, I can make the batteries feel much happier in the Spring and Fall nights and a lot of the Summer nights also. For a lot of things that we are doing in our motor homes, it does make the proposition of having photovoltaic solar panels on the roof of the motor home a useful and practical thing to do. I have the 80 Watt and 60 Watt solar panels in place now, and the chore of locating the smaller size panels that will fit into the spaces between the air conditioners, air vents, refrigerator vent shaft, TV antenna mast, and other things, has begun. My goal is about 350 Watts total capability. That will be enough to fully run the main radio when transmitting.

I will admit that this motor home has become an extended project, and there are many more things to be done with it.

Enjoy;

Ralph
Latte Land, Washington

Posts: 49 | Location: Latté Land, Washington  | Member Since: 12-03-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1891 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/16
Picture of Quinn
posted Hide Post
Here's a video of hazards, one side incandescent, one side LED. Cross-posting because this seems to be the primary thread on the subject.

LED Hazards - Video

89 28' Regal
Quad Bunks
P-30 454
8906-3623-28C-B

Posts: 252 | Location: San Leandro, California | Member Since: 08-06-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Quinn. I meant to do a side by side comparison like that but I forgot. Great argument for a conversion! Thumbs Up

8607-3346-33TFPOB------9708-M0037-37MM-01
86 Regal SE 33 Tag axle--"98" Monarch 37
Chev P3(7) 454TBI--------Cummins 8.3 300 hp
400 hp fuel injected-------6 spd Allison, Spartan MM

Posts: 3217 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
More on LED (Light Emitting Diodes) Some of my Airplane light sockets, the light sockets under the cabinets will accept a LED light bulb but, most will not accept a wider LED bulb. The problem is the LED light bulbs I purchased are too wide to fit inside the heat shield of the bulb socket. The wider bulb is shown here.

The heat shield is what will not permit wider bulbs to seat in the base of my under cabinet lights.

I have designed a fix for the members here. Take wire cutters and cut the inside heat shield like this.

Use a strong needle nose pliers to tear and roll the aluminum heat shield out of the bulb holder, being careful not to damage the socket base.

Shown here is the heat shield removed.

Install a new low current draw multiple mini LED light bulb. This will save your house battery bank for longer off the grid living.

Posts: 2562 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of MWrench
posted Hide Post
There are LED lamps that are smaller in diameter and will fit in that application without cutting the reflector. Tom King turned me on to this.

The part number from Superbrightleds is 67-W15

There are a whole series (67) of this reduced diameter LED forward firing bulb.

I replaced all of mine in that same fixture with no issue. Plenty bright for its purpose.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
230 Cummins, Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC

Posts: 1893 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/16
Picture of Kevin
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the part number Ed. I do recall there were other members buying LED light from Superbrightleds.com. I was more interested in more light. I am thinking your part number would work well in the Barth Lighted Entry Handle too.
Thumbs Up

Posts: 2562 | Location: Northeast , Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/08
Picture of MWrench
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have one in the entry handle also. The 67 series is available in various number of forward facing LEDS and power levels up to 3 watts. You can also source colors and two white wave lengths for daylight (~6500K) white or warm (~4300K) white.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
230 Cummins, Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC

Posts: 1893 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/13
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I believe I bought the same lights from somewhere when I did mine. I quickly found they would not go into the socket as Kevin states. I went another route to remedy the situation. I lightly ground the protruding edge of the base and it went with no issue.

I did not want to deal with returning them and it was quick and easy.

I love them no longer being a light blast furnace.

Ed I used a blue led light in the handle. Everytime I turn it on I am reminded of the "House of Blue Lights" sung by Asleep at the Wheel! Something we never want to do while driving our 10 ton Bricks!!!! Sorry

Dana & Lynn
1994 34ft Side Entry Aristocrat
Christened - DBarth
Spartan Chassis
6BTA 5.9L 230hp Cummins
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
15040S Eaton rear
Banks PowerPack
PacBrake
ProSine 2.5 Watt Inverter/Charger
245 watts solar panels
Blue Sky 3000i
1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth
No motor, no tranny, no running water
Electric 110 and 12 volt intact and running
Still mobile as a toad with newer brakes, tires and lights
Original Fridgeking Air conditioner

Posts: 623 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post