Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash Air
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted
I just completed a trip from Houston to LA and then to INDY using only the dash air to cool the coach. What made this possible was my diesel mechanic shop inspected the system after I put a 40,000 BTU condenser in place of the 5,000 that was mounted under the engine compartment. The Barth approach was to run a mile of rubber ac lines and use the stainless steel screw clamps everywhere. He told me he had pressurized the system and it had no leaks after three days of sitting around and that the screw clamps always leak when vibration is added on the road. I had the system slowly leak down last fall while driving and just refilled it. Although it was expensive - they removed all the lines and put new crimp type OEM connections at every junction and after 6 thousand miles I still get 50 degree air at any outside temperature. I did have to remember to always turn on the rear fan motor or it would freeze up, but we had complete comfort and even had to turn down the fan on the dash after about 100 miles each morning. This may be of interest to those rebuilding or improving their systems. Avoid crew clamps on ac systems.
Tom

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom K:
Avoid crew clamps on ac systems.
Tom

I wonder how the constant torque worm-drive screw clamps would do. I also avoid the regular screw clamps and use either an Oetiker or the constant torque clamps whenever possible.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
Tom: do you still have the vintage air maxi cool system? I am already pretty annoyed with mine...(half the battle is I am letting mechannics figure this stuff out and it gets expensive). If you do, does this unit work for heat as well?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
My coach has the Acme Auto system with two evaporators and fan assemblies. One in the dash and the second in the port side hallway at the rear bedroom. Both are heat or cool and in fact the fan switch that controls the aft system says Aux Heat, but it is only a fan. The temp is controlled by the dash slider to the front unit. If heat is needed in the rear then the aft propane furnace takes care of that. I have installed Vintage Air Maxi Cool systems, they are much more modern than what is in the Barth and they usually have heat-defrost and cool. The newer units are electrically controlled and do not need vacuum to operate the various flap motors that direct the air flow. Vintage also uses quick couplers and ships their units fully charged but after while they will slowly leak down. Depending on how difficult it is to reach all the connections a good shop will have a portable swage tool that allows hydraulic crimping at the work site. If you are experiencing loss of cooling and the hoses are installed with clamps then I would suspect them. For the test that was done on mine the mechanic charged the system with 300 psi of nitrogen and monitored pressure. After three days it was still at 300 so the clamps were the weak link. When the engine was running (with R-134a installed) the pressure began to drop about 2 psi each fifteen minutes. After replacement with swaged connections that problem went away. In you area ask the locals where they buy their ac hoses, compressors and tools. There is someone who is the wholesale supply and they know who has the equipment to fix your problems. If not check around and see if you can use a major city as a two day or so stop while on a trip and see if this type of service is available.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Tom,
I must say I am thoroughly impressed with your improvement and results from your dash air. I haven't had my coach a year yet and from previous coaches I've owned I haven't yet taken the time to even study my dash air (manuals). So far this HOT summer I've just ran the jenny and overheads. However we have similar coaches and have to ask you if you had the entire system gone through at some point. My coach is a little older and basically 20 years old now, I suspect if I wanted to tackle a project as you've done I'd first need to ensure my current system is solid. Mine has the GM style push buttons and slider control cold to hot. I see the rear fan control but haven't used it. Also I guess mine was set up for R-12 and hope it now has R134 in it.
I would really like any additional insight you could give on this upgrade for I live down in the heat as well; fortunately I'm at nearly 1900 ft ASL and we have little humidity.
BTW I grew up in League City, and we moved to Brady from Kemah in 2006.
Any additional data, such as how you sourced and sized the larger condenser coil would be appreciated.
Outstanding upgrade!

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
If you have a clear pathway to run tubing, I would replace most of the rubber hose with Type K copper tubing and rubber hose at vibration points(i.e. compressor) with the swaged fittings. Use high grade silver solder ~20% on the fittings. I agree hose clamps were never designed for high pressure air conditioning systems.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of rigid tubing swaged to flexible (rubber etc) at the compressor. I just replumbed my entire 85 year old, 2 story house here in the Heart of Texas and the plumber used PEX. When I upgrade dash air in the future I was hoping to be able to use PEX for my long runs fitted to the flex fittings at the compressor. But my study of PEX doesn't show it handling the heat and pressure required on the high side. Boy if it was... I will probably use the Type K Copper when I tackle the project.
Thanks Ed

BTW: Are the folks in the Beaumont/Port A/Orange ready to secede yet? Here in Central Texas it is discussed a lot...

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stratosurfer:
BTW: Are the folks in the Beaumont/Port A/Orange ready to secede yet? Here in Central Texas it is discussed a lot...
Will you allow Yankees Me to join you down in Texas without being considered an illegal alien? Big Grin

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Will you allow Yankees Me to join you down in Texas without being considered an illegal alien? Big Grin
All are welcome down here who determine to make their own way! Despite Houston, Dallas/Fortworth and Austin San Antonio: Texas is still a rural state: folks here like guns and freedom and don't like taxes so much. If you like that: we will like you! Come on down! Can't tell you how many 'Yankee' accents down here now. Yankees that love Guns Freedom and not so much governmental control are Texans at heart anyhow!

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
Picture of billyt53
posted Hide Post
When Texas goes, I think Louisiana will too. If not, Texas is 103 miles west of here. We can get there before the gates close at the Sabine!

Billy & Helen Thibodeaux

Retired from Billy Thibodeaux's Premiere RV, Inc. Scott, LA 70583 I-10 Exit 97
The Farm is near Duson, LA I-10 Exit 92 then N 1 mile on right
Three Full 50 Amp RV Hookups !
billynhelen@me.com
Data Tag: 9404-3908-36XI-2C
1994 Sovereign 36' Widebody on Spartan IC (Mountain Master Lite) Chassis.