Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Electrical Outlets
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
I replaced several of my 110 outlets in the old Barth this week. I cleaned the wires with steel wool.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Steel wool (or steel sponge) should never be used for cleaning brass or copper contacts (nor should emery cloth). Crocus cloth or sandpaper is preferred, and the grit should not be coarser than #320.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
I have replaced two of mine in the 85 Regal with 20 Amp outlets. 15 Amp is the standard and they will get hot if you plug in something like a ceramic heater. Of course, if the prongs are loose, that will cause things to get hot as well.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
I have replaced two of mine in the 85 Regal with 20 Amp outlets. 15 Amp is the standard and they will get hot if you plug in something like a ceramic heater. Of course, if the prongs are loose, that will cause things to get hot as well.
Jim

The reason for the outlets to get hot is because most of the outlets used are the "strip and push in" types. As such they only have two points of contact and WILL NOT carry a high load. I also have replaced all outlets with 20 amp and make sure I wrap the wire around the connection screws.

The other thing I campaign for is to replace all those CRAPPY inline push connectors that is so common in RVs, a very big source of trouble and potential fire hazard.

YES Kevin, good find for those +5VDC USB charging port style outlets. I have been putting them in the apartment I am building now. I think in the coach, I will expand the outlet housing to a dual box and leave the 20 amp outlet on one side and the charging port on the other. I have a 4 port style and will work good on both sides up front. I may even put the style on each side in the bedroom

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
re: electrical contact grease!!

is this a good price?

http://www.rrtoolsnsolutions.c...cants/NoOxGrease.asp

>>>>>NO-OX-ID "A-SPECIAL" is the electrical contact grease of choice for new electrical installations and maintenance. NO-OX-ID is an electrically conductive grease that keeps metals free from rust and corrosion. This electrically conductive grease which has been used in the power industry for over 65 years to prevent corrosion in electrical connectors from low micro-power electronics to high voltage switchgear. NO-OX-ID electrical grease prevents the formation of oxides, sulfides and other corrosion deposits on copper, aluminum, and steel surfaces and conductors.

Toxicity: All NO-OX-ID products are produced from pure virgin clean raw materials and are RoHS compliant. That is why NO-OX-ID A-Special has received health certification from the EPA under NSF-Std 61 for use in drinking water tanks and is USDA approved as an electrical contact grease and general lubricant for meat & poultry plants.

NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical is an USDA approved conductive grease compound and rust preventive that prevent corrosion and lubricates electrical connections. Other NO-OX-ID electrically conductive grease and conductive lubricants include NO-OX-ID "A", NO-OX-ID "A-Special 200" and NO-OX-ID "E".

YOU NEED NO OX!

Available in a variety of sizes!

NO-OX-ID A SPECIAL 8 OZ TUBE
Part No. RRT-NOOX8OZ

Price: $7.55

For grounding, automotive battery posts, aluminum cables, bus bars, junction boxes, nuts, and bolts, cables, clamps, anchor rods, switch gears, wires, conduit, guy wires, highline towers, aerial cables.....

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
...and if you really want the best then use a Hubbell hospital grade outlet for really improved electrical connections!

Expensive? Yes!!

>>>>>>>>>> http://uhfmag.com/AC.html
and search for Hubbell

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:

hmm Hey Rusty, What is your reasoning behind the steel wool not being used? Could you be thinking about the finings from the steel wool shorting out something? Inquiring minds want to know. hmm

The steel fines from steel wool or emery cloth can cause problems

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
After replacing ALL of my outlets with Cooper Industries plug/USB charger outlets. I was extremely happy. UNTIL----- I find that my Galaxy S4 will not charge from these USB outlets! Ipads, Iphones, Nexus tablets, Moto X all charge but NOT my Galaxy S4.

Seems Samsung has programed the internal battery maintenance charge to not accept certain chargers.

The Cooper Industries units have a load sensor internally and will switch on when a USB charge cable is plugged in. However when I plug in the S4, it will not recognize the unit and stays off. Even if I add an additional load to get the wall unit running the S4 will not charge.

I am working on ways to trick the S4/outlet to charge but so far nothing seems to work.

I still have to use the Samsung charger or other "plug in" chargers for the S4.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post