Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

LED docking lights
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted
I finally got around to getting the docking light modified to LED lights. I spent a lot of time and bought quite a few 4 inch (supposedly) but could not find anything that was worth considering.

I found a set on Amazon (of course!)last week and took a chance. The outward bezel attachment was exactly the same the old lights. The back side was such I needed to modify the existing lamp holder.

See my write up here.
http://www.mwrench.com/barth/L...docking%20lights.pdf

Here is a link to Amazon for the type of lights I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am happy with the results!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ed, very professional looking job, but what else could we expect!!! How is the light??

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Docking lights, eh? hmm
I thought they were used to repel vehicles in my blind spot! confusion

I think those might be nice. I will have to look at mine closer when we get south. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
A little off topic, but my head lights really suck, I am thinking about replacements, anyone using the led replacement for the Cadillac set up? How do you like them?

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
A little off topic, but my head lights really suck, I am thinking about replacements, anyone using the led replacement for the Cadillac set up? How do you like them?

Duane, I think I remember threads about dim headlights with improvements made by cleaning or replacing the switch and all contacts. You might try a search and prove me wrong. cheers

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:

Duane, I think I remember threads about dim headlights with improvements made by cleaning or replacing the switch and all contacts. You might try a search and prove me wrong. cheers

Tim you are probably right, and I just ordered a 4 piece LED set of bulbs, not to expensive about $50, the installation set up might require some wiring though, seems like each light has a dim and a bright setting. I believe currently one light is dim and both lights do the bright. So all the contacts and switch will have to be checked....Thanks

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I had low beam brightness problem as most Breakaway owners have. I wrote a fix it years ago.

headlight upgrade

I also replaced my light bulbs with LED lights. I have the Hella 4X6 light and can replace the individual bulbs with LED H1,H4 replacement, Much better!

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had low beam brightness problem as most Breakaway owners have. I wrote a fix it years ago.

Hey ED, I did not buy the Hella lights, just straight LED sealed beam replacements, they say they are good for 50,000 hours, not sure about that!! Should have done a bit more research and I might have gone to the Hella.

Those Diesel units seem to have a lot more wiring than the P30, my unit has really revised wiring, and it is hard to figure out who is on first. I may just rewire from the on/off to the dimmer and then to the headlights, if the snow goes away and it warms a bit. Nose is in its winter home right now. Sailboat, Miata and bass boat inside, second citizen Nose out in the snow..

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You will not regret rewiring your headlights. My Regal was about 10.5 volts at the bulbs.

Your current system has a power feed from the fuse block going through the light switch, then through the bright/dim switch, then out to the low and high beam bulbs. As I recall the OEM headlight wires were like 16 guage. confusion

Basically, run a good size hot wire with a fuse/breaker. (I used #10 with 30 amp breaker.) Split it to feed the two relays. Find the OEM wire going from bright/dim switch to the high beams, cut and attach that wire to the coil of one relay, low beam wire to the other relay coil. Ground the other side of the coils. Finally, run new larger wires to the low beam and high beam bulbs from each relay. (I used #14 for the bulbs)

The light and bright/dim switches now only trigger the relay coils. My switch got hot from the current before (hence the voltage drop) ran cool afterwards. The lights were noticably whiter and brighter. Very easy to trouble shoot as well... just energize the coil to test for power and lights. If that works, then the problem is with the OEM switches. Mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Steve your method seems like the best way to rewire the head lights and I would not have to get into the mess the PO made. Just add a couple of relays. Thank you Professor!!!

Similar to what Ed did but he had a half start already wired...

P30 chassis
350 engine

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Ordered the relays, 80 amp contacts the LED lights are only 45 watts each, I will use a 30 amp circuit breaker for the whole system, nice part about this job is I can make the wiring harness complete inside and install it as a unit. everything is right in front as is my starter battery, so I can tie directly into it. Then just identify the dimmer and headlight power wires and route them to the correct relay coils. What can go wrong?...oh this is a Barth Glassnose so everything. D'oh

Ed sorry to tie into your thread, please accept my apology.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
You have the right idea. When it comes to old wiring (especially OEM GM) don't waste your time figuring out what they did, just replace with new harness. Quicker and you only have to do it once. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Do tear out all the old wiring. Trace it back and get every connection and inch. At some time in the future you will need to fix something else and dead wires will add to the confusion. I have seen 100s of feet of dead wiring removed from just one 38 boat. More confusion that could have been avoided by removing the replaced wires.
Good luck,
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Step by step relay installation.

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...=388100581#388100581

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Cool that so many folks have had a similar problem, seems more prone to the deasil units than the gas powered.

Funny that the deasil units have wiring so far back, I can make the harness in the house and really only have to install it, connect it to the lights, battery and determine the switch and dimmer wires, hook them to the relays. All of this can be done standing up and through the nose eyebrow doors...whoopee!!! I will remove all the old wiring, I may have to get underneath to do that though.

Right now there is a foot of snow out there and rain expected.

Sure do appreciate all the good help!!!!

P30 chassis
350 engine