Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leaking Fuel
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Hi All,
I am trying to figure something out,,, I have an 87 Barth Regal, and I noticed fuel leaking from the frame, by the fuel tank. Do I need an inline fuel pressure gauge and where should I get that? Is that to diagnose the problem? Someone recommended,,, or should what would anyone recommed to replacce or rectify this prob? Where I live, there are no mechanics that are knowledgable... Thanks for any help!
Anthony Confused

Posts: 1 | Location: Barth | Member Since: 10-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
We have a '77 Barth which this spring, on the first fillup, I noticed fuel leaking down around the tank.
After removing the tank the culprit condition was found to be a cracked fuel return line that goes into the top of the tank.
Not hard to fix, if only the tank didn't have to be removed first.
Good luck.

Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyA.:
Hi All,
I am trying to figure something out,,, I have an 87 Barth Regal, and I noticed fuel leaking from the frame, by the fuel tank.

When does it leak? Just when filled? Only with ignition on? All the time?

quote:
Do I need an inline fuel pressure gauge"

Not to find a leak.

In addition to Bud's tip on a cracked hose, if it leaks only when full, it could be the seal where the fuel gauge sending unit mounts on the tank. Depending on the coach's construction and your flexibility, you might be able to look up there and see either the leak itself or its tracks. Fuel leaks usually leave evidence.

I don't know where your tank is, but look around for the filter. They can leak at their hose connections as the hose shrinks and the worm clamps no longer are tight enough.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
My 86 Regal, 454, had fuel leaking at frame next to fuel tank. Found bad fuel regulator. Could not get mine out without removing tank-60 gal. pumped fuel out of tank thru genorator fuel line. Used electric pump hooked uo to 12v at gen. Used motor cycle lift to lower tank. Found regulator at Advanced Auto,about $20. It is a Holly reg. New one came in chrome only and had 2 outlets. Will have to plug 1. They come in different presures and are adjustable. I had bad diafram. I used new body 4-7 lb with old spring and bowl to try to keep right pres. I have electic pump in tank to high presure hoses to regulator mounted on frame to 3/8" hose/line to filter to mechanical engine pump. Hope this helps. I could not find any info on proper presure in factory Chevy service manual.any info on presure would be apreciated. Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
AnthonyA
Added info, my regulator is visable thru stamped out hole in frame. If hydralic leveler hose was not run thru same hole, I may not have had to drop tank. good luck
Doorman

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Daddo
posted Hide Post
Anthony, you didn't mention what powertrain you have. If you have a gas engine with a carburetor as I do then you don't need much fuel pressure. 3-5 lbs pressure should be more than adequate. You only need enough pressure to keep the fuel bowl full under max load which isn't much.

I had to replace the gas tank filler hose on my rear fuel tank as it had dry rotted and cracked. I also had to replace some 3/8" fuel hose in the engine compartment that had rubbed through on a sharp bracket due to some crazy and unnecessary routing done by a previous owner or mechanic.

I think it goes without saying that pretty much any Barth should have all its fuel lines replaced or at least inspected. Any hose that carries fuel and is more than 10 years old is likely to inconvenience you or much worse in the near future. Since fuel hose is pretty cheap ($1.38/foot at my auto parts store) it's one of the easier things to do to make your coach reliable and safe.

83 28' Barth "Euro"
Chevrolet 454
P-32 Chassis

Posts: 34 | Location: Chambersburg, PA | Member Since: 09-14-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post