Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Regal Front Air Bag Installation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted
I found I had a blown diver side air bag on my Barth so I figured I'd better get that fixed right away got the big GTG coming up. So I bought a new set of Coil-Rite Firestone bags online from SD TruckSprings, free shipping for $103.00 not a bad price I thought. Don't know for sure how long these bags last, figured I was due for a new set anyway.

The installation of the bags looked pretty simple and removing the old bags looked easy as well. Just drill a simple 1-1/2" hole in bottom of the old bag grab the bag with a pair of vise grips and pull it out. Well unless you're Hercules you are not pulling that old bag out. So I gave the old bag a spiral cut with my Saws-all and then it pulled right out easy enough.

Then it came to putting the new bag in, directions say just fold the bag into itself. give it a twist and insert the bag through the hole in the control arm and up it goes right into the coil spring. I know anyone that has installed these bags are laughing because that is impossible, for me anyway. Once again if you had Hercules hands then that might be possible. I laughed at myself trying it. It was like trying to cram a baseball bat down the kitchen sink drain. So I folded the bags as tight as I could and then with my wife's help used tie-wraps to hold the bag in the collapsed position, with that I was able to get the bag threw the hole and up into the spring, and that still took some effort.

But anyway after some installation deviations I have a nice new set of air bags, new tubing and valves.

Next year I plan on replacing the rear bags, this site SD TruckSprings also has coil and leaf springs if anyone is interested.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Next time, I'd suggest:

1. A few minutes in hot water to limber them up.

2. Fold lengthwise per directions, but slip two
hose clamps over bag a couple inches from top.
w/ drill & nut driver, cinch them up tight.

3. Spray bag & hole w/ a lubricant (Pam, silicone, etc.

4. Insert into hole, and use drill to loosen/slide/retighten alternating clamps as needed to "walk" bag thru hole.

5. A dab of grease holds the top donut in place
as you get to the fully inserted stage.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next time, I'd suggest:

Lee, your installation steps should replace the installation sheet that came with the air bags. That would have made my installation that much easier. I used soap for a lubricant on the bags, your step #1 would have made a huge difference on getting the bag to fold up nice and tight. Which leads to #2 I had to use a hose clamp on the last few inches of the bag to get it to go threw. And #5 is a great idea it would have eliminated the need to try to collapse the top of the bag to get the donut in there.

I suggest to anyone that is going to install these bags follow Lees 5 steps and it will make your installation a breeze.

Posts: 259 | Location: SouthWest MI | Member Since: 08-12-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I used hose clamps on mine, it was easy that way. Thumbs Up

One more comment: sometimes the hole in the control arm is a bit jagged, doesn't hurt to smooth up a bit with a round file to make the bag slide in easier. mechanic

(Tom: maybe you can edit the thread title to "Regal Front Air Bag Install" now that Lee gave us the scoop! Easier to find with search later...)

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I use hose clamps to squeeze the bag down, and then install bands of baling wire twisted tight instead of hose clamps. Hose clamp is removed and moved down a little to repeat.

The wire takes up less room, and the extra work assures no fiddling with hose clamps during installation. Easy to slip a pair of dikes in between the coils to remove them. Or use duckbills to untwist the wire.

Ditto on smoothing the hole edges.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
As an alternative,
SuperSteer Coil Springs for Chevy/Workhorse 'P' Chassis Class A Motorhome, 3900 to 4300 lb. Front Axle Weight
I replaced the coil spring/air bag assembly on our '85 Regal and it made a significant difference in the ride quality. More firm but not harsh, accurate ride height adjustment, no airing up of bags, etc.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post