Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Class C status and upgrades
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Quick note on my Class C status. I brought my Class C into the shop because it would not idle and the exhaust from the header back needed to be replaced. Well started to overhaul the carb and found out it had a crack in the die casting, so the carb was pretty much scrap. It also explained why the performance at full throttle was less than desired. Now when I purchased the Barth, I wanted to put together an engine, never had done anything like that, and thought it would be cool to do so. Went looking on Craig's list for parts and unfortunately or fortunately found a completely overhauled 400 ci, small block chevy with after market cam, intake, and carb, along with new pistons, rods, valves et al. So I bought it, thinking I could put it in the Barth sometime in the future. Well the future is not quite now, but we took the intake (Holly) and carb (Edelbrock) off the new engine and put it in the existing engine. Starts, runs and idles but have not had it for a test drive yet.

Also cleaned up the wiring, took out a plastic valve used to shut off the heater during the summer months, plastic does not go well with temps in the engine.

Exhaust system left to go.

Chuckd
Barth Class C
Stillwater Mn

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well one step forward, and two backwards. Test drove the Barth with new Carb, and intake manifold, performed well, no stumbling at take off and reved freely at all throttle positions.

As I was coming back into the shop, I stepped on the clutch and bang it went to the floor. The PO install of the linkage left much to be desired. So located the break, and will noodle over how to correct the mistakes and make the new clutch mechanism a whole lot easier to operate. If it isn't one thing it is another, etc, etc, etc.

Chuckd
Crippled C class
Stillwater MN

Posts: 73 | Location: Stillwater Mn | Member Since: 07-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Roseanne Roseannadanna is frequently quoted in these forums: "It's always SOMETHING!"

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Just be thankful it made it from CO.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doorman: You are right on, the route I took is not known for traffic or repair facilities.

Chuckd